Permanent Residents and DVA's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MaseratiGT

Legilimens!
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey People!

When I was at my interview at NYCPM, one of the clinicians who interviewed me told me that in order to be placed in a clerkship and residency in a DVA, you needed to be a citizen. That was the first I had heard that. Does anyone know if that is 100% correct?
 
What you heard is accurate for all DVA residencies...

Residencies with VISA reqs
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/Directory/VISA_Req.pdf

Clerkships and VISA reqs
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/clerkships/pdf/VISA%20Req.pdf

I think anyone can do the clerkship or clinical rotations at a VA, though. I'm pretty sure a couple of my classmates who have a student VISA are clerking at vet hospitals. Regardless of your status, there is a veritable mountain of paperwork for them since they are government facilities.

VAs are only about 20% of the podiatric residencies, though. There are many others that permanent residents and people with non-citizen status can complete.
 
What you heard is accurate for all DVA residencies...

Residencies with VISA reqs
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/Directory/VISA_Req.pdf

Clerkships and VISA reqs
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/clerkships/pdf/VISA%20Req.pdf

I think anyone can do the clerkship or clinical rotations at a VA, though. I'm pretty sure a couple of my classmates who have a student VISA are clerking at vet hospitals. Regardless of your status, there is a veritable mountain of paperwork for them since they are government facilities.

VAs are only about 20% of the podiatric residencies, though. There are many others that permanent residents and people with non-citizen status can complete.
👍
well said.
Must be a citizen to do residency, but you can do externship/clerkship. We have some canadians here at azpod. The first one through our program is a third year. Our 3 years is a lot at the local va, and he had a lot of red tape to get through.
 
In general, nearly 100% of jobs in Veteran Affairs require US citizenship unless there is an immense shortage of that skill and US citizens are not available to fulfill it.