Permanent US resident from Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Raskolnikov666

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All, I'm new to this message board and I have a lot of questions.
My Goal is to work as a Dentist in the US
I graduated from Universidad Tecnologica de Mexico with a low GPA which is 2.3 or 2.0.
Currently in my 3rd semester in Root canal also in Universidad Tecnologica de Mexico currently with a GPA of 3.7

I have knowledge of the NBDE, and NBDEII. I've been preparing for it for 2 months now, I'm planning in finishing the root canal post graduate training right now. This for being more prepared for the NBDE.

Now what if I do good at NBDE and TOEFL? will my GPA be a problem?

I'm even considering restarting Dental school but in the US, I'm 28 years old.

I also know that once this is passed I have to receive like a 2 year trainning, is this at private or public? Will private colleges accept me al though my low GPA.

Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance.
Much Appreciated.
 
Yes.
In fact, when I'm done with my postgraduate Root Canal, going to work with a US dentist to increase my background and compensate my GPA hope that helps along with the good GPA I´m maintining in the Post graduate. Hope I do Well with NBDE1

Really nervous for the long road to come
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Low GPA will be a problem. NBDE is P/F now and universities are looking into GPA even more to see if you will be a good student. Do not forget, most people, who you will be competing with, have much better GPA
 
I know of this, have been researching.. Any other ways to compensate this? besides having some experience in working in the US and post graduate degree? I really hate the fact I did bad in dental school... sigh
 
Be ready to be asked at the interview why your GPA is so low. It may have an effect, that you changed your ways and did well later. Get good references they play a role
 
Yes Thank You, that will be US references right, wanted to ask also about CAAPID, how do you register? or you do you have to submit papers to ECE first?
 
Yes.
In fact, when I'm done with my postgraduate Root Canal, going to work with a US dentist to increase my background and compensate my GPA hope that helps along with the good GPA I´m maintining in the Post graduate. Hope I do Well with NBDE1

Really nervous for the long road to come


Why do you want to do dds again in usa... if you want to do dental education again in usa then go ahead with caapid cycle.
Because you have usa green card/ citizenship you are lucky..finish nbde part one n two.apply for aegd program via PASS.there are many aegd /gpr or residency programs which only accept usa citizens like you.example lutheran aegd, georgia university programs etc. Do these and you can practice in many states.plus you wont even have a hugh dent in you pocket with education loan.you will find employment surely with higher pay after these programs.
 
@sidDu Oh, sorry for the late response been busy on my college.

I'm unfamiliar with the CAAPID, the only thing I know so far is that they open registrations on especific dates, went to de CAAPID page and I couldn't valuable info. Could you explain a little bit more this way you just explained pls? Also I'm planning on doing my NBDE till 2015 want to get through my endo program.

Thanks a lot sidDu
 
@sidDu Oh, sorry for the late response been busy on my college.

I'm unfamiliar with the CAAPID, the only thing I know so far is that they open registrations on especific dates, went to de CAAPID page and I couldn't valuable info. Could you explain a little bit more this way you just explained pls? Also I'm planning on doing my NBDE till 2015 want to get through my endo program.

Thanks a lot sidDu
leave caapid. Go to pass ada website.select programs which may take you in.lutheran Aegd will be the best.after that aegd you can do endo in usa and then get licence. No need of doing dds again.
 
Hi All, I'm new to this message board and I have a lot of questions.
My Goal is to work as a Dentist in the US
I graduated from Universidad Tecnologica de Mexico with a low GPA which is 2.3 or 2.0.
Currently in my 3rd semester in Root canal also in Universidad Tecnologica de Mexico currently with a GPA of 3.7

I have knowledge of the NBDE, and NBDEII. I've been preparing for it for 2 months now, I'm planning in finishing the root canal post graduate training right now. This for being more prepared for the NBDE.

Now what if I do good at NBDE and TOEFL? will my GPA be a problem?

I'm even considering restarting Dental school but in the US, I'm 28 years old.

I also know that once this is passed I have to receive like a 2 year trainning, is this at private or public? Will private colleges accept me al though my low GPA.

Thank you for reading, and thank you in advance.
Much Appreciated.
Hi
After you finished you dental program, You will need to do 2 more years of IDP, be able to get USA licence, in Mexico has IDP is very good, La salle univeristy, you should look it. NO problem with GPA.