permission to skip a prerequisite once granted admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bashir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it looks like I can't fit a physics II lab into my schedule this semester (physics labs don't have to be taken at the same time as the class at my school), and I'm applying this summer. I know you don't have to have the prerequisites done when you apply, but once you get in, do they ever not make you complete a prerequisite? I ask because taking the lab this summer would severely limit my summer work options, and I really need to make some money before (hopefully) going abroad in the fall.

It seems if there were a prereq. they would let slide a physics lab would be it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Is this just ridiculous wishful thinking on my part?

Members don't see this ad.

So it looks like I can't fit a physics II lab into my schedule this semester (physics labs don't have to be taken at the same time as the class at my school), and I'm applying this summer. I know you don't have to have the prerequisites done when you apply, but once you get in, do they ever not make you complete a prerequisite? I ask because taking the lab this summer would severely limit my summer work options, and I really need to make some money before (hopefully) going abroad in the fall.

It seems if there were a prereq. they would let slide a physics lab would be it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Is this just ridiculous wishful thinking on my part?
If the school specifically asked for physics + lab then yes. In many acceptance letters it will say the acceptance is contingent upon you completing all of the prereqs. Call the admissions office for confirmation but you are probably going to have to do it.

Don't count on it.

You only have to complete pre-reqs prior to med school matriculation so you could do it as late as the summer you start med school.

However, you say you are going "abroad in the fall" but when and how do you plan to do med school interviews???

Something missing here...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying early decision to my state school. If I don't get in my plans for the year will definitely have to change.

I don't think this would work- a lot of schools will ask in the secondary app when you will be completing the pre-reqs and you don't want to lie on this. My acceptance says to finish the planned coursework they approved and graduate or let the dean of admissions know. I changed an elective to fit my schedule and let him know and it was fine but pre-reqs are required for some reason.

I'm applying early decision to my state school. If I don't get in my plans for the year will definitely have to change.

Well, then, you only have one school to ask the question, so why are you asking us what "bashir's state med school" will say?

Are you planning to "go abroad" and only come back the day before med school starts? It is possible to take labs at some schools in an accelerated summer session - I took some labs in 3.5 week compressed sessions at my post bacc school...tough, but doable.

Fair question, flip26. I'm not going to ask my state medical school because this strikes me as the kind of thing that they will definitely say no to if asked by some premed. (What are they going to say- "No, the prerequisites don't actually matter. Don't take them if it's inconvenient for you.") I'm not convinced that means the answer is definitely no, depending on the admitted student's situation. That being said, my situation is in all likelihood not compelling enough to garner an exception to this rule. I probably would have time to take the lab in the summer before matriculation.

If the school specifically asked for physics + lab then yes. In many acceptance letters it will say the acceptance is contingent upon you completing all of the prereqs. Call the admissions office for confirmation but you are probably going to have to do it.

Yep I'd agree, not worth having an admission revoked due to a stickler adcomm seeing that physics lab is missing! I can think of one adcomm guy who would probably do this, too.

One school that's got their stuff together-- colorado reviews prerequs completed at the time of the interview and gives a handout to each candidate in their packet that says prerequs are "complete" or "deficient" and lists missing classes if deficient.

My acceptance letter said I had to complete the required courses with a passing grade or the acceptance would be withdrawn. I believe most schools have similar policies. We also had to submit final transcripts before school started.

I'm in the same shoes as the OP, but i'm done w college already! I'm gonna have to ask the adm. office, cos i'm sure there must be some exception to the rule, esp. if one has already been done w college...and its a ridic class like calc that is the prereq. that I didnt take.

physics lab is completely and utterly pointless though lol idk why they care so much about it

You could say this about any one or two prereqs. It's all basic knowledge that you should know (or at least have known at one time).

Fair question, flip26. I'm not going to ask my state medical school because this strikes me as the kind of thing that they will definitely say no to if asked by some premed. (What are they going to say- "No, the prerequisites don't actually matter. Don't take them if it's inconvenient for you.") I'm not convinced that means the answer is definitely no, depending on the admitted student's situation. That being said, my situation is in all likelihood not compelling enough to garner an exception to this rule. I probably would have time to take the lab in the summer before matriculation.

You're going abroad all of next year? Pre-Reqs are required and you definitely should have the time to take it if you are applying this coming summer. That gives you a year and a half. I was at an interview recently when they made everyone sign a paper acknowledging that Genetics was a pre-req for that school because in the past, it had gotten ugly when some people didn't manage to complete it before matriculation.

I'm in the same shoes as the OP, but i'm done w college already! I'm gonna have to ask the adm. office, cos i'm sure there must be some exception to the rule, esp. if one has already been done w college...and its a ridic class like calc that is the prereq. that I didnt take.

You could take a calc class at a CC, online, or via a correspondence course...no excuses, really...some med schools may make an exception, but it is not typical.