Personal Appearance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElCid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we are the future dental professionals ...but how does that affect our lives as dental students? I have several friends in medical school who have somewhat 'radical' personal appearances ranging from dreadlocks and dyed hair to tattoos and piercings. They dont seem to have any problems.

But how are things in dental school? We hit clinics before med students do. I have a mohawk (not punk mohawk, more like trendy mohawk) that Ive grown quite fond of and I have some pretty big tattoos on my arms that definitely show when wearing scrubs.

How will this be received in dental school. Dont mistake me - Im a professional individual when it comes to getting down to business. But Ive got some personality traits that Im not ready to get rid of until I start practicing (be that in clinicals or when I go in the Army).

Anybody have any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know. No offense to my tatooed and mohawked friends out there, but if I were a patient, I'd want someone who didnt look so bizarre.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Dentaldream
I dont know. No offense to my tatooed and mohawked friends out there, but if I were a patient, I'd want someone who didnt look so bizarre.

I agree. I am sure you are going to be a great dentsit, but i don't think patients will think the same when they see a mohawk and tatoos. This is the world we live in, personal appearances mean a lot to your average american.

to ElCid:

I'm sure the tattoos are easily managed-- Just wear a long-sleeve doctor's white coat when you are seeing a patient if a patient is uncomfortable with your appearance.

As far as the mohawk goes, one way or another that'll have to go, because you have to follow the Army's grooming regulations. :D

I don't think I've ever seen an Army officer in dress-A's with a mohawk. :laugh:

Is that a pic of ElCid in Dentaldream's avatar!!??

:laugh:

J/K. But I'm afraid you'll have to loose the mohawk come interview time.

Just curious... not sure if its been answered...but is there any kind of dress code in dental school? from what i saw at u of t and western in canada.... the students were wearing kinda like business casual attire ... at UT even some in ties.... not sure if it was just the days i went on.... kinda curious though...

waiting for avingupta to slam me on this question as he has to every other q. i've posted.... give it ur best shot av

really am serious bout the question though...anyone know?

The norm is tie and slacks pre-clinical years......3-piece suit for clinicals. The mohawk is optional :D

Nah.... :laugh: At UTSA, most of the students were wearing blue jeans/t-shirts for pre-clinicals and scrubs for clinicals. Didn't look to strict. But it varies from school to school.

I think most dental schools do have a dress code..

In preclinic labs, it's for safety reasons-- Scrubs, protective eyewear, no shorts or sandals allowed.

In clinic, the dress code would be to dress professionally. Some schools allow scrubs, others require a white coat, no shorts, jeans or sandals, etc.

We have a dress code at our school, as do many other schools.

You can either wear a set of matching scrubs - the must be neat or else they'll let you know if you show up with wrinkled scrubs. Or you can "dress like a dentist" so yes, you may see guys wearing ties or dressing business casual if they choose to. There are also other rules of personal appearance - like some classmates had to lose the eyebrow rings and tongue rings once they started dental school.

I've gotten yelled at/sarcastically made fun of by professors for having my hair fall in my face (not intentional - some of it occasionally escapes the ponytail). I've since solved the problem - went to the mall and bought some headbands.

another q... man just waiting for avgupta to jump in... but i'm gonna be brave and ask...

do people buy their own scrubs/lab coats from other places or does the school provide that stuff/sell that stuff to u...

also..just curious as a female... any dress code stuff specific to us?

Wow Nilez.....havent seen you on here for a while....what happened? Busy working and being a nerd up at Erindale?

I can see you have sort of fascination with me.....its cool...i have a way with the ladies....always coming back asking for more!

Originally posted by critterbug
Is that a pic of ElCid in Dentaldream's avatar!!??

Yeah I thought it was kind of ironic for me to tell the op to lose the mohawk, when I have a picture of Travis Bickle as my avatar.:laugh:

I don't know about dental school, but I'd lose the mohawk for interviews. I like to dress with the trends, but interviews are always a conservative business dress affair for me. I really do think it has helped on two interviews so far, where I was complimented on it and received very quick acceptance letters. The point I'm making is that dressing right for interviews is crucial, especially at those schools that have older interviewers.

Originally posted by Nilez
also..just curious as a female... any dress code stuff specific to us?

Ahem, I, uh, vote you wear short minis and a tank top, both summer and winter. I don't think you'll be comfortable but no complaints from the guys.
:D

Oh one more thing, do you guys really spend that much time worrying what people think you are wearing? You can catch me in shorts, shirt, and sandals most of the time.

preludexl

Ease up there big boy... i didn't mean it as a superficial question at all... not panicked about looking good for others... i made an observation at a few schools that dress is quite different from undergrad... so was wondering what the deal was

about the comment specific to girls.... i meant it in reference to hair, high heals etc... may sound stupid but i'm curious...sheeesh!

don't care about what others think i'm wearing either.. i asked if the DENTAL SCHOOLS had a DRESS CODE...not how to dress to impress.... so.... reelaaax

hey elcid, aka Cobra Commander,

not to talk **** about ya or anything, the tatoos can stay but the mohawk ahs to go. To be honest, I myself would not give a crap aobut how my dentist looks like because i'm not like that. If the person is suitable to be a dentist, then that person can't be that bad.

HOWEVER! Many people don't share my views and would mind, so it's best to lose the mohawk. People would take you a lot more seriously.

Originally posted by preludexl
Ahem, I, uh, vote you wear short minis and a tank top, both summer and winter. I don't think you'll be comfortable but no complaints from the guys.
:D

Oh one more thing, do you guys really spend that much time worrying what people think you are wearing? You can catch me in shorts, shirt, and sandals most of the time.

If you showed up to your first pre-clinical class as a D1 at my school dressed in shorts & sandals, you will definitely be told about the dress code policy (no shorts, no open toe shoes) and be asked to dress appropriately next time. If you were about to treat a patient dressed like this, I don't doubt for a second that your professor would send you home.

And yes, nilez does have a good point about women in clinic. I already mentioned about the no-hair-in-your-face policy at my school. There are plenty of girls who walk around in pointy heels all day, there is no rule against that, but my feet would hurt b/c you are on your feet and running around a lot in clinic. I guess if you were dressed kinda inappropriately according to the faculty or your senior dental assistant (like skirt too short or shirt too revealing), they'd probably ask you to wear a lab coat over your outfit for the rest of the day.

Everyone loves to gossip in dental school, including the dental assistants and staff, and ESPECIALLY the teachers. I've heard them reminisce a number of times about past female students who were better dressed in clinic. Worse, they were laughing out loud a few weeks ago at a D1 who was being treated by a D3 in the clinic. The girl was dressed rather inappropriately for a clinical setting (even if she was the patient and not the student dentist) and the teachers were having a field day making fun of her.

ok i get the wearing a suit once you start clinic and seeing patients part, but i don't understand why you would have to wear slacks and look all professional in the 1st yr.

don't get me wrong, i worked in retail for 10 yrs and had to wear a suit, shirt and a tie everyday, but i would really rather not in my 1st yr if i don't have clinics and patients.

Originally posted by PERFECT3435
ok i get the wearing a suit once you start clinic and seeing patients part, but i don't understand why you would have to wear slacks and look all professional in the 1st yr.

don't get me wrong, i worked in retail for 10 yrs and had to wear a suit, shirt and a tie everyday, but i would really rather not in my 1st yr if i don't have clinics and patients.

I'm sure no one wears a suit in dental school, maybe khakis with shirt and tie or wool trousers with shirt and tie.

Long Live the Mohawk! ElCid

Unfortunately I had to get rid of it for the interviews. Hopefully, BU won't mind a few days of the Hawk, at least for halloween or something.