Personal injury

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMRorBUST

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here do personal injury? Wanted to see what your experiences have been like. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally do not have the moral laxity to do PI work.

Good luck to you if you decide to go this path.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally do not have the moral laxity to do PI work.

Good luck to you if you decide to go this path.

“Moral laxity”? Care to explain? Genuine question as I’m not sure what morally is very different than the moral field mines of pain medicine in general. What specifically about personal injury makes it different?

Anyone here do personal injury? Wanted to see what your experiences have been like. Thanks!
I once worked for a pi heavy practice owned by a d bag doctor. The main ambulance chaser in town had the cahones to send me a form with what he wanted me to fill out highlighted. When I didn’t fill it out as what he wanted he complained to my boss and I had to hear about how this slime ball lawyer didn’t “ like me.” So glad I had already put in my notice.

Reactions: 2 users
The problem with PI is that the goals of treatment are not aligned with actually getting better. The goal is to get as big a financial settlement as possible. This happens by "proving" significant disability from the injury and by inflating cost of treatment as much as possible.

The patient and lawyer do NOT want the patient to get better and go to work, they want hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical treatment which was ineffective. The best way to string this along is to give narcotics and do lots of procedures (which will all be ineffective).

Most of use go into medicine to help people. In pain management, we usually want to provide the necessary (not excessive) treatments to help the patient become functional again. To go to work and participate in activities they enjoy. Juicing the system for cash and encouraging our patient to be a slug isn't usually our bag.

Reactions: 6 users
We get paid, a significantly higher amount…eventually. Patients are mostly unreliable/no shows frequently.

20%…maybe 10%, I’m just spitballing numbers here, need/benefit from our care.

You are not specifically working for the benefit of the patient. You are working for the insurance company or in close conjunction with a law firm.

Lawyers hate me. What is best for patients is usually not compatible with what is wanted by attorneys.

Personal injury is worker compensation’s guido cousin

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users