Injury prevention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmrmd

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Plenty of injuries in the NBA this year. I read the Lakers fired the head trainer and are trying to seek new people and ideas to keep players healthier and prevent injuries.

This idea got me thinking, and I don't believe most injuries are preventable. The literature suggests core stability is a basic tenet, but outcomes of core stabilization programs are meh.

Any thoughts of what is realistically preventable?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are definitely players more resilient than others. I'd bet it has to do with style of play as much as exercise/conditioning.

Charging full speed down the lane 10x a game in hopes of drawing a foul is going to get you injured no matter how good of shape you are.

Just had surgery.
at age 43. did have prior ACL repair. besides those that lost season i dont remember any other weeks out due to injury.

the problem i think is this desire to bulk up. seems like flexibility, ability to sustain an impact would be more beneficial towards preventing injury.

case in point, those who tense up before an MVC seem to have more serious injuries than the drunk guy who is barely awake...

Plenty of injuries in the NBA this year. I read the Lakers fired the head trainer and are trying to seek new people and ideas to keep players healthier and prevent injuries.

This idea got me thinking, and I don't believe most injuries are preventable. The literature suggests core stability is a basic tenet, but outcomes of core stabilization programs are meh.

i think too much has been made of the increased injuries. it is just happenstance.

james harden is an overweight tub of goo, and we blame the long season and quick turnaround after covid on his hamstring pull? he sat out the beginning of the season anyway.

kyrie stepped on giannis' ankle. how is that preventable?

in general, stretching and flexibility seems to help, but the literature has not borne that out. also, do you really want your defensive tackle to be like gumby, or like the mountain from GOT.

tom brady is a good example, but then again, he plays a position that involves little running, and little contact.

Reactions: 1 users
i think too much has been made of the increased injuries. it is just happenstance.

james harden is an overweight tub of goo, and we blame the long season and quick turnaround after covid on his hamstring pull? he sat out the beginning of the season anyway.

kyrie stepped on giannis' ankle. how is that preventable?

in general, stretching and flexibility seems to help, but the literature has not borne that out. also, do you really want your defensive tackle to be like gumby, or like the mountain from GOT.

tom brady is a good example, but then again, he plays a position that involves little running, and little contact.
1624298685710.png

Your definition of a tub of Goo is different than mine

Don't play contact sports.

I don’t know, he still looks pretty fit in his Instagram shots. Don’t forget the camera adds 10 pounds ;)
Lookin especially great in Cancun now that he’s out of the playoffs

through it all.....

the beard is exactly the same.

I've basically stopped playing basketball (or not aggressively) and stick to tennis for this reason.

Trying to get my kids interested in it. We'll see how that goes.
the sport that I would want my kids to seriously get involved in for a lifetime is golf.

yes, not that great for the back, I am aware... but its the one sport a kid can play until they are 90.

Reactions: 1 user
through it all.....

the beard is exactly the same.

the sport that I would want my kids to seriously get involved in for a lifetime is golf.

yes, not that great for the back, I am aware... but its the one sport a kid can play until they are 90.
I think this exact thing was discussed in one of the Rich Dad, Poor Dad books.

Golf for Females is one of the least competitive sports when it comes to Athletic scholarships as well, My friend's daughter has multiple offers and she is only number 3 on her high school golf team

Golf for Females is one of the least competitive sports when it comes to Athletic scholarships as well, My friend's daughter has multiple offers and she is only number 3 on her high school golf team
Nice situation, in which the popular sports that people actually watch, can subsidize your daughters scholarship.

Nice situation, in which the popular sports that people actually watch, can subsidize your daughters scholarship.
Title IX.

Although things may change with the recent NCAA ruling.