Personal Letter Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeardedDMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am currently preparing to apply to dental school this upcoming June and have some worries about my personal letter. I'm afraid of making it too "cheesy." If anyone could help by showing me example personal letters, or give me any tips on what to do, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I am currently preparing to apply to dental school this upcoming June and have some worries about my personal letter. I'm afraid of making it too "cheesy." If anyone could help by showing me example personal letters, or give me any tips on what to do, I would greatly appreciate it, thanks!
Contact the admissions office of the schools you are interested in applying and ask about the personal letter. Some of the schools have some things they prefer to see in the letter. Obviously, don't tailor your letter to one school, but you can integrate some of these suggestions into your letter without other schools being turned off.

Describe what sparked an interest in dentistry, why it's a good fit for you, and qualify yourself. Mention things that are not in the other parts of your application. Convey your personality, professionalism, and eagerness to help people. Putting in a brief anecdote is usually a good thing too. Lastly, have people proofread it--preferably someone with an English background, such as an English professor/highschool English teacher.