Personal Problems with SDN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alve24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, since everything has a downside and a upside. What problems have you had on SDN? What are some flaws that you think should be addressed? Whether it be a toxic community or bad experiences, please share as I am interested in anyones perspective and personal story. Of course it would be very flawed of me to focus on the negatives and not listen to the positives, so if you made it this far in the question, and don't think you have had a bad experience but a positive one, then please share that also.(If others think this is an inappropriate question and some are mods and they want to take it down, then please message me and go ahead and do that.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
also, a limit on membership. only members who have performed 3 SDN searches and taken a quiz about it should be required before allowing people to post

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
also, a limit on membership. only members who have performed 3 SDN searches and taken a quiz about it should be required before allowing people to post
That's interesting. To be honest I always wondered who managed SDN front-end behind the scenes. Although the interface does remind me of classic reddit a little bit. Also thanks for your input much appreciated.

also, this

nkht2hb.gif

Reactions: 2 users
That's interesting. To be honest I always wondered who managed SDN front-end behind the scenes. Although the interface does remind me of classic reddit a little bit. Also thanks for your input much appreciated.
adulting is hard.jpg

MeMbQDP.jpg

khaleesi.gif

Reactions: 1 user
I will keep this in mind. Although I do some minor searching before asking.
But I do look for this forum for some-what specific questions.

SDN problems are just internet forums problems, so response bias, stats being consistently skewed to top few percentile, and a rather negative environment are common. And much of SDN's issues are concentrated specifically in preallo, since this forum has the highest traffic.

However, SDN has several unique benefits, namely a culture of professionalism and solidarity. Check out the waitlist threads during the application cycle and you will see people supporting each other during stressful times. The collaborative nature is what defines these forums. There are lots of very useful resources here, and the guidance from altruistic faculty, adcoms, attendings etc are valuable treasures. SDN also serves as nice networking as members interact and try to meet up in social gatherings, form connections for residency etc. And the interdisciplinary nature and interactions with other health professions are incredible.

The unique benefits SDN provide decisively outweigh the unoriginal internet problems of preallo.

Reactions: 9 users
SDN problems are just internet forums problems, so response bias, stats being skewed to top few percentile, and a rather negative environment are common problems. And much of SDN's issues are concentrated specifically in preallo, since this forum has the highest traffic.

However, SDN has several unique benefits, namely a culture of professionalism and solidarity. Check out the waitlist threads during the applocation cycle and you will see people supporting each other during stressful times. The collaborative nature is what defines these forums. There are lots of very useful resources here, and the guidance from altruistic faculty, adcoms, attendings etc are valuable treasures. SDN also serves as nice networking as members interact and try to meet up in social gatherings, form connections for residency etc. And the interdisciplinary nature and interactions with other health professions are incredible.

The unique benefits SDN provide decisively outweigh the unoriginal internet problems of preallo.
Thank you for pointing that out, and thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's inarguably a good resource if you know how to use it correctly.

I have found a great deal of support from a lot of the threads on here and I'm very thankful for that because it helped me immensely while going through the application process.

That being said, I've found it can be extremely toxic at times. There was a thread a few weeks back where somebody posted a personal issue and said "not to quote," at which point everyone (including many prominent SDN users) quoted his/her post, citing the fact that nothing can be permanently removed from the internet and the SDN guidelines. While they aren't wrong, it just struck me as being mean for the sake of being mean while somebody is obviously going through a stressful time.

I also wonder about how many things commonly repeated on here are actually true, or only appear to be true because they've been perpetuated for so long by SDN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
It's inarguably a good resource if you know how to use it correctly.

I have found a great deal of support from a lot of the threads on here and I'm very thankful for that because it helped me immensely while going through the application process.

That being said, I've found it can be extremely toxic at times. There was a thread a few weeks back where somebody posted a personal issue and said "not to quote," at which point everyone (including many prominent SDN users) quoted his/her post, citing the fact that nothing can be permanently removed from the internet and that the SDN guidelines. While they aren't wrong, it just struck me as being mean for the sake of being mean while somebody is obviously going through a stressful time.

I also wonder about how many things commonly repeated on here are actually true, or only appear to be true because they've been perpetuated for so long by SDN.
Thank you for taking the time and sharing, your input is appreciated.

What's good about SDN- it is well moderated, well designed, highly functional, and a trove of information for those that know where to look and how. Also, veterinary students.

What is bad about it: neurotic premeds and medical students that take everything too seriously and can't chill out. People that can't use the search function. People that get upset when given an answer that isn't to their liking. DO vs MD threads. URM threads. Not knowing how long a banned member will be banned for, and no way to contact people you know that end up banned if you haven't previously shared contact info with them.

Reactions: 11 users
I don't have many, my issues are IA's and I got some really good advice and have a good idea about how I am going to approach it come application time. There may be a lot of trolls and more then a little gunning, but its a premed forum, technically most of us are competing with one another.

The worst parts about SDN are the pre-meds. Kidding! ....kinda...

I've been on SDN for a long time. Being a career-changer, it helped me navigate the technicalities associated with making such a large switch in the focus of my life. If you have a burning question, we have so many generations of pre-meds, medical students, residents, fellows, and attendings that serve as an excellent cross-section of the medical population -- ain't nothing like being able to seek answers from someone who has been in your shoes and lived to tell the tale!

If you're smart about the way you're harvesting data from this site, you can find solace from your worries and answers to your quandaries. But, it's important to note that most of the information herein is subjective and anecdotal; some of the answers may be seriously skewed or flat-out wrong. However, like any good research endeavor, if your sample size is large enough and you're controlling for confounding effects, then you can definitely find the answers you're looking for or, at the very least, the appropriate audience to talk to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I like this forum. My classmate told me about SDN, after we both agreed that our pre-med adviser is worthless. I do a lot of searches on SDN, and I can literally find a post with my specific question, or with someone in my exact situation. I know time is money, but I wish people would post updates on their outcome. Some do, but mostly they never post anything after asking.

The two downsides to SDN are: The sarcastic trolls have been around for years. If you search out specifics, it is common to see the same user posting the same sarcastic garbage toward new users. If you are no longer pre-med, and have no helpful suggestions, move along with your life. (They won't and that is toxic in my mind) 2. The lack of follow up information.

I have more pros than cons in regards to SDN though.

Reactions: 1 users
Positives:
Lots of wise and altruistic people here.
Multiple perspectives of pre-meds, medical students, residents, attendings and Adcom members. I came to SDN to see what goes on inside the mind of a pre-med, and to see what people are saying about my school.
I enjoy helping people
EXTREMELY patient and long suffering moderators

Negatives:
Trolls (but no internet forum is immune to these, and I like the sound of the banhammer going "splat")
People who come here expecting what they want to hear, not what they need to hear
Unrealistic mindsets (like you need a 4.0 and 525 to get into med school, and one C will kill your chances)
The hyperneuroses and angst

I'm just curious, since everything has a downside and a upside. What problems have you had on SDN? What are some flaws that you think should be addressed? Whether it be a toxic community or bad experiences, please share as I am interested in anyones perspective and personal story. Of course it would be very flawed of me to focus on the negatives and not listen to the positives, so if you made it this far in the question, and don't think you have had a bad experience but a positive one, then please share that also.(If others think this is an inappropriate question and some are mods and they want to take it down, then please message me and go ahead and do that.)

Reactions: 6 users
SDN has been an amazing resource for me. I'm a naturally skeptical person, and when the old premed advisors at our school (thankfully they retired) told us 1) that shadowing was basically illegal and that 2) not to go on SDN, I had to check it out. I'm so glad I did, because I might never have even considered shadowing or getting enough volunteer hours.

Pros: The amazing ADCOMs. I don't know what I would do without their wonderful and useful guidance. You make me much less neurotic about this process and have helped me more than you know. I also really appreciate the supportiveness that I often feel in this community.

Cons: Like any place on the Internet, SDN can get toxic pretty quickly. I try to avoid that, but sometimes you can't. Also trolls. And I sometimes feel frustrated when people jump down other people's throats for no reason. There's a big difference between tough love and being intentionally malicious.

Cons: Uptight users who get too bent out of shape and derail calm, logical discussions into Olympic-scale pissing contests. Mostly found in SPF.

Pros:
1. @Goro, @gonnif, @LizzyM, and so many other people here who dedicate their time and knowledge to help us out. Good information and reality checks are always on tap here.

2. Support from other users and threads circulating that give everyone a way to articulate the stressors of the application process to people who are similarly situated.

3. The "What I learned from my patients" thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think SDN is good if you're looking for resources or specific questions. Most of the time, the searches are really helpful. You find people who have been in similar situations.

However, I was kinda upset that no one responded to a post I had. It was my first post and if I didn't follow some rule or guideline, I would have liked to know that. Even if someone responded that my question was unnecessary/too long/annoying/already answered, that would have been nice. Receiving nothing makes you feel crappy.

Last edited:
I hate the people on here who think they're smarter than me, and so just because they don't like my opinion on something they think that they can just treat me like an absolute ******. I'm actually very smart and I would say it's fair to say that I've excelled academically - I just like to think outside of the box. If you are disrespectful to people who have different opinions than you, you should be ashamed of yourself. You aren't a good person.

EX:

"You're racist if you think affirmative action is racist. End of discussion." Really? You can't at least understand why an Asian medical school applicant might be the slightest bit upset that racism against his own race in the form of higher barriers to entry is fully sanctioned by medical school admissions committees?

Even though I'm against affirmative action I can at least appreciate the fact that people have good reasons for supporting it. I just think that they're going about things the wrong way.

I think SDN is good if you're looking for resources or specific questions. Most of the time, the searches are really helpful. You find people who have been in similar situations.

However, I was kinda upset that no one responded to a post I had. It was my first post and if I didn't follow some rule or guideline, I would have liked to know that. Even if someone responded that my question was unnecessary/too long/annoying/already answered, that would have been nice. Receiving nothing makes you feel crappy.
I just looked up your post history and responded to your post;)

Pros: What's been discussed already, really. You have access to people who are further along that have realized your goals or possible goals and you get their opinion on what it's like and what it may be like for you. You then get the opportunity to be those people for those behind you. I search probably 100 times more than I comment because any time I have a question about a training path I read what sdn has said about it.

Cons: The irony associated with a group of people who matter-of-factly talk about how high the bar is set while simultaneously complaining about people worrying they won't reach that bar. A general lack of self-awareness. Some people feel entitled to the help they receive. This is fair in some respects because it's what the forum is for; but at the same time, if a complete stranger takes the time to write out a detailed response to your particular life situation then a thank you could come in handy.

What's good about SDN- it is well moderated, well designed, highly functional, and a trove of information for those that know where to look and how. Also, veterinary students.

What is bad about it: neurotic premeds and medical students that take everything too seriously and can't chill out. People that can't use the search function. People that get upset when given an answer that isn't to their liking. DO vs MD threads. URM threads. Not knowing how long a banned member will be banned for, and no way to contact people you know that end up banned if you haven't previously shared contact info with them.

Agree 100%. Also, like most of the Internet, it tends to represent the extremes of its populations but not the middle. For pre-meds, that means worrying their 3.9 isn't good enough or wanting to know how to fix a 1.9. For med students, that means worrying they won't match with a 250 or ask what to do when they fail (when really, a below-average 220 is way more common than a 250+ or a 191-).

I'm the type of person who's always skeptical of internet forums because they're text based and so everyone always interprets everything differently. I know I'm new, but I do try to approach the site with the attitude of "stay positive and relevant" and the whole "if I wouldn't say it to one of my coworker's, don't post it." And I've definitely found some helpful posts and hints, including some troubleshooting stuff. Yes it stings seeing other members make posts celebrating their II's while you get stonewalled but I can't be mad because they were more proactive with submission and there's still a long way to go here. Like I said, there has been really helpful stuff and, even if there's some neuroticism that comes with being around here, I'm okay taking it in stride at the moment.

I might be the outlier here but I believe the cons of SDN outweigh the pros. Here are my opinions of each - respectfully given.

Pros:

- You might be able to find someone who's been in a similar position as you or had a similar question and save yourself the time of emailing admissions offices, counselors, advisers, etc. However, those people likely are not in the exact same position as you so you have to make a judgment of the advice based on your specific situation.

- Great for finding out secondary questions beforehand or when schools start sending out interviews.

- The MCAT Study Question forum is good for getting answers to your questions and good for solidifying your own scientific knowledge.

Cons:

- While the advice given on here is great, your situation is your situation and nobody knows your situation better than yourself. If you feel that certain advice does not apply to you, it certainly may not because without knowing you personally, people can only give advice that pertains to the average pre-med (whether SDN average or national average).

- Speculation fuels neuroticism which fuels speculation and it's a self-perpetuating cycle. There are no magical volunteer hours you need to achieve, no number of publications, no set time required in lab. That's all a myth and a lot of people here will actually tell you that. But for every person who understands, there is a naive person who spreads false information because it's the Internet and there are no consequences.

- People can be real dinguses because they can hide in the anonymity of the Internet. No, just because nobody knows who you are doesn't mean you can talk down to people or act like an entitled snob. Sorry.

- It's addicting and that's not necessarily a good thing. That's probably why I'm typing this drawn-out post instead of sleeping.

Without using this site my primary/secondary apps would have been dogsh*t.

So thankful for all the wise advice and help this site provides, IF you know how to use it correctly.

Pros: kinda obv, massive amount of info and great advisers like @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM etc. Anyone who doesn't join I think is missing out on some key info.
Cons: It's depressing b/c more people will post successful scores and stats b/c they are more confident while the people who don't do as well will sulk quietly (usually). Don't let it get to you. I for one got a 497 on my MCAT and retook it (awaiting results). Too much info can also lead to its own issues.