Personal Statement Advice (& anybody willing to look over it?)

Started by VTDSPMed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VTDSPMed

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a reapplicant, is it frowned upon to reuse your personal statement from the last cycle? My reasoning for wanting to go to medical school hasn't changed. I was thinking about it and wouldn't it be looked down upon if your personal statement was very different from the last one? Almost as if the first one wasn't genuine and a lie.

Also, if anybody is willing to look over my personal statement from last year? I really believe I am a strong applicant; however, I'm not the best at talking about myself so writing a personal statement is tricky for me. 🙂 Please let me know!
 
I used my one from last cycle and I got in! I may have changed one or two things but it was virtually identical. I'd be willing to look over it though! Is it for MD or DO school?

@VTDSPMed
 
I used my one from last cycle and I got in! I may have changed one or two things but it was virtually identical. I'd be willing to look over it though! Is it for MD or DO school?

@VTDSPMed

Really!? Okay good to know. I heard you're supposed to change all the Work/Activities descriptions and what not, so I assumed you might have to for PS too.

For MD. I'll pm you! Thanks, @Doctor-In-Training99
 
Really!? Okay good to know. I heard you're supposed to change all the Work/Activities descriptions and what not, so I assumed you might have to for PS too.

For MD. I'll pm you! Thanks, @Doctor-In-Training99
Not true. It isn't necessary to change anything for activities if nothing has changed (which is typically the case for activities that have already ended even before the first application). However, it is generally advisable to make edits to your personal statement and any ongoing activities to reflect any new insights / thoughts that you have gained that strengthen your desire to pursue medicine. Good luck!