Personal statement advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulErDr

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on crafting a personal statement. Granted it is hard, I don't have one ah ha moment where I realized I wanted to do medicine. A common theme I have realized is that all of my experiences involved learning, be it learning about myself and my interests, helping others learn as a lab assisting, learning as a scribe from the doctors I work with, and watching a doctor I work with teach a resident. Does this work? I know I would have to craft it to tell a story, but I hope it sounds good.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to base your essay around an aha moment. A powerful and well constructed essay can be based on a central theme, such as learning. It is important, however, to show, rather than tell, the reader your passion for medicine and the traits that will one day make you a great doctor.

You don't need to base your essay around an aha moment. A powerful and well constructed essay can be based on a central theme, such as learning. It is important, however, to show, rather than tell, the reader your passion for medicine and the traits that will one day make you a great doctor.
So should I talk about each experience I feel is impactful? I have about 3-4 separate occurrences in mind.

I agree with Gonnif's recommendation immediately above.

Reactions: 1 user