Personal statement advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillowsnice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this part of the application will be more important now that aways will be cancelled and most people will only have 1 SLOE? With this in mind, any advice on how to craft a descent personal statement? I'm weary about using patient stories from my EMS days (as this was before medical school), but this is what initially drew me into exploring the field of EM.

Members don't see this ad.

There's nothing wrong with mentioning your EMS experience, particularly since it was a genuine reason that attracted you to the field. You need to focus on answering two questions. Why EM? Why should the residency program that you are applying to consider you as a candidate? To answer the latter, try not to simply regurgitate what is on your cv. Most importantly, proofread before submitting. I honestly think that latter part is more important than anything else. Most PDs just tend to read and forget personal statements.

Reactions: 1 users
There's nothing wrong with mentioning your EMS experience, particularly since it was a genuine reason that attracted you to the field. You need to focus on answering two questions. Why EM? Why should the residency program that you are applying to consider you as a candidate? To answer the latter, try not to simply regurgitate what is on your cv. Most importantly, proofread before submitting. I honestly think that latter part is more important than anything else. Most PDs just tend to read and forget personal statements.

Is it corny to talk about a resuscitation in the field or a specific ems call that I was involved in to open up the personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it corny to talk about a resuscitation in the field or a specific ems call that I was involved in to open up the personal statement?

Meh. Pretty much par for the course.
Personal statements exist for a couple reasons:
1) Give people with incredible life experiences to describe them
2) Prove you’re not illiterate
3) Give you an opportunity to put your foot in your mouth.

If you’re AOA, high board scores and good rec letters, you just need to make sure you use good English. It can really only hurt you in those sort of apps. If you’re marginal, it can be an opportunity to catch up.

Be brief. No one wants to read a long statement.

I think the best ones are where you talk about an interesting story or real-life example that somehow gives an idea of what you are like. If you are EMS, sure you can talk about doing CPR on someone although honestly that is kind of boring. I would much rather read about a unique experience that is either funny, or shattered an world view you had, or is just somehow unique. Like did you ever get a 911 call to a treehouse. Or ever show up to a mine and the caller is down in the mine shaft 200 ft below the ground, or you showed up to someone who had a metal rod going through is brain, yet was awake and talking. Shiit like that.

Don't write about how you love ER because of X, Y, etc. And you are special. I never officially reviewed personal statements for admissions committees, but I used to hire people when I was a manager in Tech, and the best CV's and personal statements were ones that either made me want to read more....or said something like "I can help your company do A, B, and C" and those things are very specific and something that I need.

I have no idea what draws me to ER, but I just know this is what I want to do. My personal statement is going to suck

Reactions: 1 user
Some PDs only read the last paragraph.