personal statement advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

menouski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of writing mine (to give to profs for them to write my letters of rec, so I've got plenty of time to come up with a final draft for my application) and I'm wondering if yall have any insight on things that people don't normally think about writing/including/etc.

I've talked to advisers and all that good stuff, so I know what they've told me to do. But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask people who are doing it too or have already gone through it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the process of writing mine (to give to profs for them to write my letters of rec, so I've got plenty of time to come up with a final draft for my application) and I'm wondering if yall have any insight on things that people don't normally think about writing/including/etc.

I've talked to advisers and all that good stuff, so I know what they've told me to do. But I figured it couldn't hurt to ask people who are doing it too or have already gone through it.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

-do not start a sentence with the word but
-do not use slang
-do not use weak describing phrases
-do not end sentences with prepositions
-every word counts, be descriptive, yet concise

My sincere advice would be to first write out a draft of your personal statement without a character limit, and then edit it down to the correct number of characters. This way you know you have not forgotten anything, and you may then remove ideas you do not like. After you have this done, have everyone and their grandmothers read it over and give you advice on what they would change. Make sure grammar is excellent, and decent vocabulary is used. Do not force large words into your statement because it may be detrimental to the voice of your personal statement! After all, you do want it to sound like you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, be very specific and give examples! This is not a personal statement for undergraduate, where you can write vaguely and be abstract just to show that you write well, and think outside the box, etc. You need to provide specific examples of why you want to be a dentist and the journey you took to reach that epiphany, such as shadowing, volunteering, networking, etc.

Don't just say "I shadowed a dentist and I was certain that I wanted to do this" Provide names and specifics.

-every word counts, be descriptive, yet concise

first write out a draft...without a character limit... then edit it down to the correct number of characters.

have everyone... read it...

+1

Have everyone read it for the grammar and punctuation. It's amazing how little things can slip by one person. I'll always read my work in my voice, from my head, with my tone. That doesn't always translate well, having others check your work is critical. Sometimes I read my work and it's missing a 'the' which does not exist anywhere but in my head.

have a simple outline.
think about what your strengths are.
pick three or four of your best qualities that make you an attractive candidate (academic, service, experiences, etc.), then each paragraph will be about those strengths.
mine went like this:
interesting story describing my initial interest in dentistry.
academic qualifications
dedication to service
work ethic / life experiences
summary

the aadsas website says:
What should you write?
The Admissions Committee members who read your essay are looking for individuals who are motivated, academically prepared, articulate, socially conscious, and knowledgeable about the profession. Write about your experiences and any qualities that will make you stand out.

I started min with a hilarious story. I figured it would either go really well, or bomb. I was at a risk of looking like a huge bs-er but I received 7 interviews (with fairly average stats). I guess some schools appreciated a break from the monotonous/serious personal statements.