Personal Statement and Secondary Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

checkamundo

Don't know what i'm doing
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the Personal Statement and Secondary essays. Is it ok to write about why I want to become a doctor in my personal statement and to use that same essay in my secondary essays about why I want to become a doctor? If not, then what would be some suggestions about what my secondary essays should be about. Or is a better idea to not write about why I want to become a doctor in my personal statement.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I say dont use the exact same essay because many schools do ask you "Why do you want to be a physician?" Or "what makes you qualify to be a physician" or "what satisfaction will you gain from practicing medicine?"

All these questions are answered in my personal statement but i will for sure not to reuse the PS word by word. I may have the same examples but alter its presentation.

I am in the same shoe and dont want to write so much, i've already got 8 secondaries to fill out this week( and it's only monday).

Another thing, is it a good idea to share more of a personal story that happened to me relating to medicine, but doesn't show my qualifications as an applicant or is it better to focus on my activities and ec's in personal statement?

Well, ask yourself this: "By telling them this story, what will they learn about my personality? would they like me more if i told them this story? Would they find me intereseting because of this story?"

For me, i asked myself those questions throughout my personal statement, if it had nothing to do with how i appear to them as a future doctor, then i didn't write it in.

Maybe that's juts me cause others will tell u to reveal more about urself that shows u'r not a JUST geeky pre-med.