Personal statement: can't narrow it down!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

binko

At home I want you to call me Dr. Marvin.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like there are so many "why medicine" things in my life that I can't narrow it down easily!

• Interested in the body and health from an early age (have amusing examples of intense specific questions I would ask my dad about how medicines worked on a cellular level) and Jewish values about learning (I had a book as a kid that told me that "a child would receive his first book dipped in honey, so he'd know how sweet learning is").
  • Taught myself web programming - especially important because I got a lot better at asking relevant questions, challenging my assumptions, and building on previous knowlege.
  • Worked in a hospital for three years, progressing from data entry to designing retrospective studies and organizing focus groups. Of note were studies relating to patient perception of risk (to maximize the "informed" part of informed consent) and a focus group of teenagers with hypertension about issues affecting their adherence to their medication regimen. Developed respect for the complex realities of the lives of patients and how their decision making doesn't always match up to what their doctors assume they should decide to do.
  • Had to take orgo series twice at two different colleges because I did badly the first time - spinning it as a positive because I did really well the second time and became a tutor and telling orgo students who were in despair about how I got Ds and Cs the first time around seemed to really improve their morale and help them see the path from being confused to getting an A.
  • Shadowed a primary care DO and saw them save a life because a patient who looked outwardly just a little tired and sweaty was in fact having a heart attack, which nobody noticed except her because she knew his usual demeanor and identified that this was very different for him. Emphasized to me the importance of continuity and personal connection in care.
  • Applied to med school previously but only to one school, got waitlisted then rejected.
  • Was super broke after divorce so had to work a customer service job in a store for a few years. Actually really liked the job because it was a health food/supplements store and I got to talk to people about health-related things a lot, also learned a lot about the quack products Dr. Oz recommends.
  • Tried a career in programming, became pretty successful, but ultimately also became pretty bitter and unhappy because the things I create aren't of much real value to society. Learned a lot about the ways projects can go wrong when expectations are not well communicated. Saw some of the administrative inefficiencies of universities and hospitals, who made up a lot of our clientele. Contributed some code back to the open-source community that's still being used. When I got let go from my job for "not being happy" it lit a fire under my ass to re-take the MCAT and start a new med school application.
  • Have lived for years with a partner who has epilepsy, have experienced by his side some of the most traumatic things that the medical establishment has to offer when he was almost killed by medical neglect in a hospital a couple of years ago. Have also learned a lot about disability justice via his involvement in both the political advocacy and academic study sides of those issues. Have become intimately familiar with the everyday realities of long-term chronic disability and illness management, and its psychological as well as physical demands. Saw the ways in which patients need an advocate in the system, and how they run the risk of being dehumanized by hospitals with poor communication structures, even when the individual doctors are good. Will forever be grateful to the chief trauma resident who saved his life by doing a follow-up check that was not technically his responsibility.
  • Traveled to rural Honduras with a medical mission trip for a week to observe surgeries and ultrasound, saw a variety of surgeris from a c-section to placement of ear drains. Also saw firsthand the cultural and ethical issues that arise when the doctors lack idiomatic understanding of the local language, and when the cultural expectation of the patients is that the doctors will make all decisions for them instead of consulting them. Also engaged in discussions with senior staff about the ethical dilemmas of medical mission work itself.
This is just the stuff that springs to mind most immediately when I think of experiences that have contributed to my interest in or commitment to studying medicine, in roughly chronological order. Obviously I could just kind of list it out like this in the personal statement but all of the advice I have seen has said to include more specific stories, examples, anecdotes, etc. I don't feel like I can do justice to any of this stuff if I try to include all of it, but all of it seems necessary. The satisfaction from tutoring and the anger when I think about the medical neglect that almost killed my partner, the interest in patient autonomy and decision-making and the curiosity about the inner workings of the body, as well as the general cultural value of pursuing education and learning, all seem like indivisible parts of my desire to study medicine and my suitability to become a doctor. How do I narrow this down without losing anything essential? How do I flesh it out with stories without making it a million pages long?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of your bullets speak of experiences/qualities that would be nice to have in a physician. They don't all pertain to Why Medicine? and your journey to it as you seem to think…

Just sit down and ask yourself what are the most important events in your life that led you here today?

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of your bullets speak of experiences/qualities that would be nice to have in a physician. They don't all pertain to Why Medicine? and your journey to it as you seem to think…

Just sit down and ask yourself what are the most important events in your life that led you here today?

Which ones jump out to you as "not pertaining to Why Medicine?" I can try to weed some out but I'm interested in others' opnions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely recommend buying the book Medical School Essays that Made a Difference. I got an online copy through Google Play for ~$12, and it really has been invaluable. It has around ~50 successful medical school personal statements, and reading them really helped give me ideas on how to structure mine and the types of things I needed to talk about.

Which ones jump out to you as "not pertaining to Why Medicine?" I can try to weed some out but I'm interested in others' opnions.
For example...teaching yourself web programming isn't exactly what led you to medicine. I think you're trying to say everything in your life led you there but the PS should typically be about one or a few most influential experiences...

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, that makes sense. If I narrow it down to four, is that still too many?

• focus group of teenagers with adherence issues with their meds
  • tutoring ochem (also allows me to spin my bad grades in orgo as a positive)
  • seeing the DO catch the heart attack that might have gone under the radar
  • caring for epileptic partner
The first and last item on that list are really the biggest deal to me, but I feel like I need the second one to spin the fact I had to repeat the ochem series. How worried should I be about explaining my bad grades in the orgo series? Or should I not mention it in the PS at all?

And the one from shadowing the DO seems necessary because I only have about 100 hours of shadowing and nothing else significant in the way of clinical experience, so I was hoping highlighting an experience from shadowing would help that a little bit. Is that misguided?

Ok, that makes sense. If I narrow it down to four, is that still too many?

• focus group of teenagers with adherence issues with their meds
  • tutoring ochem (also allows me to spin my bad grades in orgo as a positive)
  • seeing the DO catch the heart attack that might have gone under the radar
  • caring for epileptic partner
The first and last item on that list are really the biggest deal to me, but I feel like I need the second one to spin the fact I had to repeat the ochem series. How worried should I be about explaining my bad grades in the orgo series? Or should I not mention it in the PS at all?

And the one from shadowing the DO seems necessary because I only have about 100 hours of shadowing and nothing else significant in the way of clinical experience, so I was hoping highlighting an experience from shadowing would help that a little bit. Is that misguided?
The reason that it's recommended that the PS is not a laundry of experiences is so that your PS will delve deeper into each experience. The PS should ideally paint an experience rather than just saying something generic (that someone who didn't have that experience could say)... "I learned how to communicate complex concepts by tutoring ochem". Show don't tell.

The PS is for explaining why medicine. Using it to try to explain a bad grade is highlighting a negative. Drop it, totally, TA is no reason for why to be doctor, it is why you become a organic chem professor, For your partner, just soften the anger on hospitals. Talk about how it motivated you to do more out of compassion for people, not because you are pissed off. Do not cite a negative reason for being a doctor. Anger is negative.

Is not one of the possible uses of a personal statement to explain a bad grade?

No. That's what interviews are for (if it's even brought up). Explaining bad grades sounds like an excuse anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Allow me to expand upon this.

Let's say we have an essay where someone says "my poor grades were the result of my trying to balance school with working 30 hrs/week and my father developing cancer that semester".

Not one but two negatives pop up.

One is that the writer is a poor mgr of time, the other is that the s/he makes poor choices. When life sandbags you, you don't try to bull your way through your academics and get Cs and Ds. You withdraw, and come back once you're dealt with your problems. Most pre-med are too immature to recognize the smart thing to do. they think that pure determination (and magic thinking) will somehow see them through.

I recommend getting help from an editing service after you finally figure it out. Also...I had an adviser and my anatomy professor (PhD) tell me that they MAINLY want to hear why medicine. They get hundreds of apps with "Struggles" and "overcoming hardships", but you need to primarily address WHY medicine. You can mention your challenges, but you need to tie them into the context of WHY medicine as much as possible.

OK, thanks guys this has been really helpful. I'm going to 86 all the things that were about me trying to explain why I think I'd be good for medicine and just go with the two that explain why medicine would be good for me: The experience with the focus group of teenagers about medication adherence, and the experience with shadowing the DO who identified the subtle heart attack symptoms. They were both experiences that impressed upon me the helpful and rewarding nature of listening closely to what patients say, and the way that they say it. They also highlight my clinical contact, which I don't have a lot of, hours-wise.

Does this seem like a good strategy?

Given that these occurred about six years apart, and the most recent one six years ago, I don't have a lot of details super fresh in my mind. I don't want to embellish on my memory too much, and I don't want to just plop down nonsequiters together. So I'm concerned about that part, but I'll think on it more.

Although I also wonder if those would be too uninteresting? I also have some really funny anecdotes from translation issues that arose when I was observing/volunteering in a rural clinic in Honduras, but given that my father was one of the doctors I was shadowing there, I'm not sure if I should bring it up or not.

OK, thanks guys this has been really helpful. I'm going to 86 all the things that were about me trying to explain why I think I'd be good for medicine and just go with the two that explain why medicine would be good for me: The experience with the focus group of teenagers about medication adherence, and the experience with shadowing the DO who identified the subtle heart attack symptoms. They were both experiences that impressed upon me the helpful and rewarding nature of listening closely to what patients say, and the way that they say it. They also highlight my clinical contact, which I don't have a lot of, hours-wise.

Does this seem like a good strategy?

Given that these occurred about six years apart, and the most recent one six years ago, I don't have a lot of details super fresh in my mind. I don't want to embellish on my memory too much, and I don't want to just plop down nonsequiters together. So I'm concerned about that part, but I'll think on it more.

Although I also wonder if those would be too uninteresting? I also have some really funny anecdotes from translation issues that arose when I was observing/volunteering in a rural clinic in Honduras, but given that my father was one of the doctors I was shadowing there, I'm not sure if I should bring it up or not.

Write well and it will be interesting.

Large dogs

A lot of the experiences you brought up originally may fit better in the activities section than the PS, so you don't necessarily have to get rid of those completely. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You folks are the best, I really appreciate the advice and help.