Personal Statement DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmart

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I went through draft and draft for my MD PS and feel so proud of it. However, now I have to cut out a significant portion and add some stuff in for the DO app. I was convinced I read somewhere that in your PS you must write why DO. But now I can't seem to find it. For those who submitted. Did you write a paragraph or add pieces in as you told your story?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I went through draft and draft for my MD PS and feel so proud of it. However, now I have to cut out a significant portion and add some stuff in for the DO app. I was convinced I read somewhere that in your PS you must write why DO. But now I can't seem to find it. For those who submitted. Did you write a paragraph or add pieces in as you told your story?

Thanks!

Nope.

I just cut out some of the stylistic phrasing and maintained the content. Though, I believe my statement's theme was already consistent with the major tenants of the osteopathic philosophy. Either way, I would hurry up. It's getting pretty late to submit a primary.

Thanks!

Nope, you just should answer the question "Why Medicine?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Though you should have a definitive answer for, "Why D.O." for your interview.

Got it down to 4682. I wonder if I could spell out Emergency Department once and then write ED the rest of the times. I know numbers cannot be used or contractions, I wonder if using ED is frowned up too?

I reused by previous one with added info on the volunteering/shadowing I did last + this year.

I struggled the same way you did, and after multiple attempt to shrink down my MD statement, I simply re-wrote the whole deal "the DO way".

Although I must admit that my MD statement was very much mission-oriented to begin with so rewriting was not difficult.

I remember reading on the AACOMAS application help page it said to try and answer "Why DO." I believe that's where you probably saw it.

and "Why are you a good fit for medicine?"

I've actually heard a lot of people focus on this question for the personal statement. I personally did not. All I wrote about what factors in my life pushed me to pursue this career.

The "Why DO?" can be saved for your secondaries

I and bunch of others thought my ps after like 15 draft was pretty awesome. for DO school i stated specifically that I wanted to become a DO, and for my state MD school, i just left that out