Personal Statement Example

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mardets

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since many new applicants are struggling with their PS as the new cycle is approaching, and since I already got accepted to a dental school, I figure I'd post my own PS as an example. Consider this as a final gift to this awesome forum. @aqz also posted his great PS here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/personal-statement-example.1132989/

My stats are completely average: 3.5 GPA, 21 on the DAT. I also applied pretty late in the cycle (late Aug/early Step), partially due to AADSAS lost my transcript. So while my PS isn't the greatest in the world, I'd like to believe that it accounted for several interview invites I received so late into the cycle.

My only advice to applicants who are struggling with their PS right now is: be sincere. Good luck!

Growing up in a Vietnamese family, I never had much freedom. My parents were always pressuring me to “become something significant.” I grew up with that resounding in my head. Although I understand where my parents were coming from, where I came from, I still developed a keen desire to see the world through my own eyes. Then my family moved to the United States. More freedom arrived with age and the change in culture. In this new crucible, I yearned to define myself. I took up tennis and soccer. I immersed myself into the lustrous world of jazz. I taught myself the interplay of electricity and machinery. I experimented, broadened, and varied. However, high school came to an end, and the person that I wanted to be remained murky. I struggled to clearly define myself amidst my new and swirling interests.

During the summer of 2011, I was visiting my cousin in Milwakee, Wisconsin. My wisdom teeth were giving me some problems, so I went into Dr. O’s office to have them extracted. That day, I saw dentistry anew. Before my visit with Dr. O, I’d only been to my regular dentist, Dr. S, for my checkups in Cincinnati. Dentistry had never stricken me as interesting. My impression of the profession had always been the damp wallpaper, the unusual scent, the blinding light. In Dr. O’s office I received a pan x-ray of my teeth. Dr. O proceeded to explain what I was seeing on his computer, that beautiful, ghostly image of my teeth. It was surreal. I went in there thinking that I was going to be in excruciating pain. Instead, I experienced the sharp pleasure of acquiring a new interest. The x-ray and the other machinery beckoned me with ephemeral hues. I ran my tongue across my teeth, still there, aligned as they had always been in my mouth. Then I looked up at the image on the x-ray. Something larger-than-life happened in that moment. After the procedure, I expressed my interest in dentistry to Dr. O by repeatedly coming into his office, asking him questions about dentistry. Finally, one day, he smiled at me. I knew then that he had taken me under his wing.

I’ve learned a great deal about dentistry during my time with Dr. O. He became one of my greatest mentors. With rapid succession, I learned how operate an x-ray machine, read an x-ray, and open and update the patient’s dental record. It was at his office that I was given the opportunity to observe a variety of dental procedures, from crowns and bridge prep to extraction. Instead of the long, hot arc of the sun over the pitch, or the radiation of a tennis court’s clay, patients’ wide smiles after a successful bridge procedure, or their looks of relief after a tooth extraction, or their curiosity following a filling became the hallmarks of my summer. I got to interact with individuals of diverse ages, cultures, and backgrounds.

In this way, I realized the importance of communication between a dentist and his patients. I learned the responsibilities, hard-work, and organizational skills of the profession. I even learned the unique facets of a small dental practice such as Dr. Os, for example, the tedious billing process that insurance companies make him follow. The longer I stayed at Dr. O, the more my interest in dentistry grew. Perhaps it was the dedication to excellence, the contenting smiles, and the lives I’d touched that gave me a sense of belonging.

After my first summer at Dr. O’s office, I continued to learn more about dentistry through pursuing a degree in Neurobiology at the University of Cincinnati. I feel that a better understanding of the nervous system will help me along the path of dentistry. Also, so as not to lose the touch of a real office, I spent several hours after classes observing at Dr. S’s - whenever my schedule permitted. During the following summers, however, I always returned to Dr. O, as that is where my training began.

To me, dentistry sits at the elusive intersection of health care (public service), engineering, and art in the cosmetic sense. Dentistry is something that I enjoy practicing and studying. Dentistry helped me define myself. Now that my undergraduate years are almost over, I’m excited and eager to see what awaits me in dentistry. I know that dentistry will present many challenges, but I believe that, through Dr. O and Dr. S, I have built a strong foundation from which I will move forward into the world of dentistry.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
So when are we playing tennis?

Reactions: 1 users
Which schools did you interview at and which ones did you get into?

Members don't see this ad :)
So when are we playing tennis?

Anytime! (please go easy on me...)

Which schools did you interview at and which ones did you get into?

I think I applied to 12 schools. Got interviews at OSU, Marquette, Tufts, and MOSDOH. I'm quite certain I was late for several schools on my list as well, as they stopped sending out invites by the time my application got processed.

Anytime! (please go easy on me...)

I think I applied to 12 schools. Got interviews at OSU, Marquette, Tufts, and MOSDOH. I'm quite certain I was late for several schools on my list as well, as they stopped sending out invites by the time my application got processed.

I'm considering taking my DAT later in June or even in early July but it kinda bothers me that it might be a tad late in the application cycle. Do you think that is sufficient time?
Also, I loved your PS. It is sincere, polished, and memorable. If you ever have time, do you mind reading my PS? I feel we share a bit in common and OSU is top of my list!

Wow, thank you for being nice and showing us your Personal statement. I am writing my PS, and it's kinda long I need to make it shorter, but after reading your personal statement, I am worried that mine is not good enough ....

Interesting, as I get a whole different take on this PS. Although I am biased against anecdotal stories, I am unclear how it transcends into an understanding of what dentistry really is. Liking the technology is nice, and understanding that communication is important is all well and good, but dentistry is much more than that. Maybe I can leave some buzzword:
Oral health
Oral health promotion
Diagnosis of oral disease, caries, periodontal disease, etc
Variety of diagnostic tools for treatment planning
Variety of dental treatment modalities
Restore proper oral function
Treat diseases of the oral cavity
Procedure based health care delivery
Access to health care
My goals as a dentist.....
private practice
provide access to care to at risk populations
maintain academic affiliation with D school/hospital
lifelong learning....CE
Lifelong affiliation with organized dentistry, perhaps leadership (coincides if you were in leadership in undergrad)

I am not bashing any PS, but I read lots of PS's during post grad application season and they are often a rehash of this type. As an undergrad applying for a demanding career, it would be nice to see you have done your due diligence in researching this area of healthcare and know what u are getting into.
I will also mention that liking art/arts and crafts/music/working with your hands sounds kind of corny, as most physician/surgeons work with their hands as well, not to mention well paying careers like plumbing and electric. The fact that you can see our work on the face is often a factor of the quality of craftsmanship provided by a dental lab technician who may have just graduated high school ( not all), not just you clinical capabilities. Just my two cents and of course you can choose to ignore. It is still a free country for now.

Reactions: 8 users
Interesting, as I get a whole different take on this PS. Although I am biased against anecdotal stories, I am unclear how it transcends into an understanding of what dentistry really is. Liking the technology is nice, and understanding that communication is important is all well and good, but dentistry is much more than that. Maybe I can leave some buzzword:
Oral health
Oral health promotion
Access to health care
private practice
lifelong learning....CE
Lifelong affiliation with organized dentistry, perhaps leadership (coincides if you were in leadership in undergrad)

I am not bashing any PS, but I read lots of PS's during post grad application season and they are often a rehash of this type. As an undergrad applying for a demanding career, it would be nice to see you have done your due diligence in researching this area of healthcare and know what u are getting into.
I will also mention that liking art/arts and crafts/music/working with your hands sounds kind of corny, as most physician/surgeons work with their hands as well, not to mention well paying careers like plumbing and electric. The fact that you can see our work on the face is often a factor of the quality of craftsmanship provided by a dental lab technician who may have just graduated high school ( not all), not just you clinical capabilities. Just my two cents and of course you can choose to ignore. It is still a free country for now.
So, what do you recommend talking for about?

Just finished interview season, and read 200+ apps. 10 PS's were quite interesting. 2 were from college athletes who also represented their country in national tournaments or the Olympics. One applicant spent 2 years in the Peace Corps after finishing a masters degree. The rest were anecdotal. There are plenty of things to write about. Create your future and write about that.

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished interview season, and read 200+ apps. 10 PS's were quite interesting. 2 were from college athletes who also represented their country in national tournaments or the Olympics. One applicant spent 2 years in the Peace Corps after finishing a masters degree. The rest were anecdotal. There are plenty of things to write about. Create your future and write about that.

But thats kinda the point..... how many of us have represented our country in the olympics, how many of us went to the peace corp. I may be wrong but the I believe that truth is that the majority of applicants are hard working individuals who just lead normal lives without that much extra flair. I think majority of us are passionate about dentistry but may not have had a extraordinary lifestyle (and I don't think you need this to become a dentist) so we may have to write "anecdotal" ps. I know when I was writing my ps I didn't have anything that really stood out but I was honest and gave my story about how passionate I was about dentistry much like OP's PS.

But thats kinda the point..... how many of us have represented our country in the olympics, how many of us went to the peace corp. I may be wrong but the I believe that truth is that the majority of applicants are hard working individuals who just lead normal lives without that much extra flair. I think majority of us are passionate about dentistry but may not have had a extraordinary lifestyle (and I don't think you need this to become a dentist) so we may have to write "anecdotal" ps. I know when I was writing my ps I didn't have anything that really stood out but I was honest and gave my story about how passionate I was about dentistry much like OP's PS.
That's why I always believed if everything else was good (stats, extracurriculars, leadership), other things can be generic and you'll be fine. Worked for me anyway

That's why I always believed if everything else was good (stats, extracurriculars, leadership), other things can be generic and you'll be fine. Worked for me anyway
I completely agree and it worked for me as well haha

I agree. And I do not expect everyone to have these experiences. That was not my point. Those examples demonstrated comittment, which as a PD is what I am looking for. Including something which encompasses long term comittment will go a long way explaining who you are. Even a part time job at Starbucks for 3 years to make ends meet shows a balance between academic success and working to support your rent/life. The example doesn’t have to be that big to be important. But by all means bring the gold medals to the interview if you have them.

I agree. And I do not expect everyone to have these experiences. That was not my point. Those examples demonstrated comittment, which as a PD is what I am looking for. Including something which encompasses long term comittment will go a long way explaining who you are. Even a part time job at Starbucks for 3 years to make ends meet shows a balance between academic success and working to support your rent/life. The example doesn’t have to be that big to be important. But by all means bring the gold medals to the interview if you have them.
What if we weren’t committed for 3 years to something like in your example but instead explored a diverse variety of opportunities? Since for me my time as an undergraduate was essential to explore what opportunities are out there and find out what I enjoy. Would you view that as highly as someone who demonstrated commitment to something for a long period of time?

Oral health
Oral health promotion
Access to health care
private practice
lifelong learning....CE

I was told by a pre-health advisor that the PS should be used to talk about yourself, your experiences, your story, who you are, and demonstrate that your qualities make you someone who's fit to be a health care provider. She said that she has read amazing PS that don't even mention the word dentistry. IDK, it seems that some people like you recommend to make it technical and talk a lot about the profession, while others recommend to make it more personal/honest/anecdotal/simple. I guess I'll have to find a balance in between.

I'll help y'all out with my PS, too! It seemed to be a hit at my interviews :) Getting over that PS mental block was a struggle, so good luck to everyone!

It began when I was in the second grade. I was staring at the assignment that our school teachers had been giving us since kindergarten: “What do you want to be when you grow up?” In an attempt to be a mature seven-year-old, I decided it was time to commit to something serious—I was much too old to dream about living the rest of my life as a full-time cat woman. As a kid who would go out of her way to resuscitate ants that had fallen into her bathtub and hand-feed hungry ladybugs, the idea of being a good Samaritan for a living drew me to the health field in general. It would be dishonest, however, to say altruism alone narrowed my attention specifically to the field of dentistry—in a way, in true kid fashion, it was the toys. Though I was as scared of checkups as any other kid, my dentist and his staff always helped me look past the pain and fear. When I was told “You’re our bravest patient, you deserve a toy,” the procedures became trials of courage worth enduring. I felt special, like I was the only one granted the spoils of the toy chest for valiancy.

As time passed, I outgrew toys. Though my fondness of dentistry persisted, my reasons for pursuing dentistry over other medicine lost relevancy. People who hated the dentist did not understand my odd conviction and neither did I, until I began shadowing. Observing Dr. Xxxxx, I saw patients regarded as humans asking for help from another human versus reduced to living capital put through an assembly line for profit. Owning a private practice, something that is uncommon for most health professionals outside of dentistry, afforded him the flexibility to decide how he wanted to care for people. To Dr. Xxxx, this meant he took the time to talk to his patients like friends and reduced prices if procedures were too expensive. These moments of dedication and personal philanthropy reawakened my childhood dreams in a new light: toys were not what drew me to dentistry, it was the compassion I was shown as a scared child by my dentist that bore my fondness. It is the same care Dr. Xxxx takes when he listens to his patients. I realized that benevolence is not limited to providing concrete services, whether it be helping ants and ladybugs or relieving toothaches. It lives, too, in the subliminal moments of humanity and warm consideration. I took this realization to heart in high school and became a volunteer counselor in college, advising teens online who often feel they have nowhere else to turn.

After seven years of volunteering, I have discovered greater gratification in direct contact rather than more removed forms of service such as office work. In college, it dawned on me how my general affinity for hands-on work fit into the context of dentistry. Xxxx, director of UCLA’s pre-dental courses, was looking over a wax-up I had meticulously shaped. “You must be an artist,” he muttered, and he was right. With a painter as a father, I grew up crafting with anything I could get my hands on, but ultimately found joy in sculpting tiny figurines. My favorite creation is a human figure less than three inches in all dimensions, complete with details of fingernails and vertebrae carved using tools reminiscent of dental instruments. At UCLA, I earned the Vinmar Solutions Golden Hands Award because when it came time to carve the grooves into my wax-ups, the technique unfolded from years of working with my hands. Beyond the social craft all health professions require, dentistry demands fine technical craft that resembles the skills I use to make the art I love. This hands-on contact with people, both through talking with and working on them, is what makes dentistry special to me.

I continue to find myself in dentistry. Today, when I see stories of extensive face transplants led by surgeons who earned a DDS, I look to my future and become excited for all the unexpected opportunities dentistry offers me and the potential my skills and interests can fulfill. When I don tooth fairy wings and a crown to teach first graders about dental health, I am overwhelmed by their pure enthusiasm to learn about the “sugar bugs” I do research on and receive gifts of floss. Amidst the excitement, I look to my past and remember how my dentist made dentistry enjoyable for me, shaping my future ambitions. Although my goals have remained the same since that moment, my outlook on dentistry perpetually gains meaning. To answer the question posed by my teachers fifteen years ago, “I want to be a dentist.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users