Personal Statement: Family Mental Illness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteTigerWizard99

Reaction score
I am currently trying to craft a personal statement for med school/SMP and have been struggling to find which "seed" to use and expanding on it. I was wondering if it is a big red flag to write about a parent's mental health issues and how that affected me to go into medicine. How would the admissions view this subject (would it be kept somewhat confidential and would they think I would not make it as a physician due to the possible hereditary attribute to the illness?)

Also, any tips on how Personal Statement should be formatted and the kind of narrative/voice to be used would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently trying to craft a personal statement for med school/SMP and have been struggling to find which "seed" to use and expanding on it. I was wondering if it is a big red flag to write about a parent's mental health issues and how that affected me to go into medicine. How would the admissions view this subject (would it be kept somewhat confidential and would they think I would not make it as a physician due to the possible hereditary attribute to the illness?)

Also, any tips on how Personal Statement should be formatted and the kind of narrative/voice to be used would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I don't think there is anything wrong with writing about this topic if its truly your reason for wanting to enter the medical field but I would try to write about it as tactfully and genuinely as possible. Honestly its a bit touchy and my gut reaction is to try to find another "seed" as you put it if possible as likely this might be a difficult and emotional topic to write about. In terms of being a red flag I cant speak to that and maybe an ADCOM could chime in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was wondering if it is a big red flag to write about a parent's mental health issues and how that affected me to go into medicine. How would the admissions view this subject (would it be kept somewhat confidential and would they think I would not make it as a physician due to the possible hereditary attribute to the illness?).
I have not seen adcom members at my school view familial mental health issues as being red flags. However, since this is an emotionally charged topic, you should have multiple strangers read through your final product to ensure that the content and delivery are appropriate. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This seems to be a theme among pre-meds lately.

Answer is no, it's not going to hurt you. We don't don't punish applicants for the "sins" of their parents.

Reactions: 3 users

Without knowing what other "seeds" are possible it's really hard to say if this is the best topic for you. You've already received adcom feedback. I'd also ask if this is a topic you will be comfortable discussing in an interview. Anything raised in your app, if fair game to ask about in an interview.

Reactions: 2 users
I would suggest the euphemism "chronic illness" / "chronically ill". It is not inaccurate but does avoid any stigma associated with mental illness. Not that adcoms would stigmatize you or your family but I think that it shows respect for your parent's privacy to be less specific. Also, keep in mind that no matter how far fetched, it is possible that someone who knows a member of your family may read your application. I read the application of the grandchild of someone I knew from a club I belonged to... the grandparent had mentioned that the kid was applying and the hometown, school attended, etc matched up when I was assigned to review the application after interview. To my surprise, there were some very personal details about my friend's former son-in-law that felt creepy to read.

Reactions: 5 users