Personal statement for surgery prelim year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdewey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not match largely because i had family issues and was late to do everything this year. I want to do emergency medicine and now im looking at doing either a transitional year or surgery-prelim year in the SOAP. I was told a surgery prelim year would be better for reapplying next year but was unsure about my personal statement. Do i need to rewrite one saying I want to do surgery? Or add a paragraph to my EM saying that im doing it as a year off to prepare to reapply?

Members don't see this ad.

I did not match largely because i had family issues and was late to do everything this year. I want to do emergency medicine and now im looking at doing either a transitional year or surgery-prelim year in the SOAP. I was told a surgery prelim year would be better for reapplying next year but was unsure about my personal statement. Do i need to rewrite one saying I want to do surgery? Or add a paragraph to my EM saying that im doing it as a year off to prepare to reapply?

I just sent in my EM personal statement along with my 4 SLOEs.

Only a couple hours to apply, highly stressed, and with 4 SLOEs, didn't feel that bull****ting an interest in surgery was going to help me.

Having been on both sides I would make your personal statement as boring and straight forward as possible, so that whoever reading it just stops reading it halfway through and thinks ok they passed the dont write anything crazy in your personal statement test. If you are depending on your personal statement to get you in somewhere you have already lost.

Reactions: 1 user
No one is going to believe you want to do surgery; it would be ridiculous to have a PS for a NDP surgery position to say that.

Your spin is to talk about how you are interested in a prelim surgery position for the skills and knowledge it would give you for your future career.