Personal Statement Formatting on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nighthawk3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One last AMCAS question....I wrote my PS in Word and planned to just retype it in the AMCAS box. But, I got lazy, and copied it from Word into Notepad, and this screwed up the formatting really bad. However, without changing it at all in Notepad, I copied it from there into the AMCAS box and the original, good formatting came back. After I hit the continue button, it looks good on the screen, although it will not indent paragraphs. So, my question is, is it possible for the formatting to be screwed up and for me to not have a way of knowing, or, is it "if it looks good, it is good"?

Members don't see this ad.

On your amcas, don't indent paragraphs, it wastes characters, and they don't expect you to. Formatting on the AMCAS is usually discouraged because it screws everything up. I wrote my essay in word, copied it into notepad, made sure the paragraphs were correct, copied from notepad to amcas, and it worked great. But I didn't use run-on sentences in my PS (like that last one).

nighthawk3 said:
One last AMCAS question....I wrote my PS in Word and planned to just retype it in the AMCAS box. But, I got lazy, and copied it from Word into Notepad, and this screwed up the formatting really bad. However, without changing it at all in Notepad, I copied it from there into the AMCAS box and the original, good formatting came back. After I hit the continue button, it looks good on the screen, although it will not indent paragraphs. So, my question is, is it possible for the formatting to be screwed up and for me to not have a way of knowing, or, is it "if it looks good, it is good"?

Don't worry about the formatting.

nighthawk3 said:
So, my question is, is it possible for the formatting to be screwed up and for me to not have a way of knowing, or, is it "if it looks good, it is good"?

Print out the application and look over the paper copy. If it looks good, then it is good. ;)