Personal statement general question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm gonna be taking my mcats in august and filling out apps in the summer of '05 (basically, i know I have a long time before i need to even think about this), but how is the personal statement structured? Are you just supposed to sit and write an essay about why you want to be a doctor/go to med school/something about yourself or are you given a prompt and then told to write something creative about that. Perhaps i'm getting hte writing section of the mcat and the personal essay confused, but i'm just trying to get as much information as possible about the overall process. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

5300 characters....

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2004appwrksheet.pdf

this is what it says on the amcas application..

some of the questions that you may want to consider...

why have you selected the field of medicine?

what motivates you to learn more about medicine?

what do you want medical schools to know about you that has not been disclosed in the other parts of this application?

In addition you may want to include this information as well...

special hardships, challenges and obstacles that may have influenced your academic pursuits...

commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere in your application.

hope this helps.