Personal Statement Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swoopyswoop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're on the right track. I asked my department chair for advice on my personal statement when I met with him to get a letter, and he basically said you can only go wrong by being "too creative" and coming across as a nutcase. And I'm pretty sure only a few of my interviewers did more than skim mine - certainly only a couple brought up specific things I'd mentioned or talked about it at all.

Yup. The personal statement is pretty much a formality for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt want to create a new thread but I have a question on my personal statement. I'm applying for next year and pretty much finished with my PS. However I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to open my PS. I wanted to start it off with an "Ah-ha!" moment in anatomy lab where I figured out I wanted to go into surgery, however some people I've had look at my PS said that it was excessive and that I should be as professional as I can, even if it may be boring. What do you all think?

I didnt want to create a new thread but I have a question on my personal statement. I'm applying for next year and pretty much finished with my PS. However I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to open my PS. I wanted to start it off with an "Ah-ha!" moment in anatomy lab where I figured out I wanted to go into surgery, however some people I've had look at my PS said that it was excessive and that I should be as professional as I can, even if it may be boring. What do you all think?

This is a residency application? Let me affirm what others have advised you -- the residency personal statement (especially for surgical specialities) is where you prove you are normal and not where you prove you're the next creative writing prodigy. Keep that in mind - we're not looking for outside the box, we're looking for works hard, plays by the rules to keep patients safe, and can complement the hierarchy.

In my statement consulting work, I've come across a lot of writers who have difficulty beginning their statements. I always advise them... how do you start a conversation with a new acquaintance? You don't generally walk up to someone and go "BOOM, the car exploded and shards of glass flew everywhere."

Reactions: 1 users
This is a residency application? Let me affirm what others have advised you -- the residency personal statement (especially for surgical specialities) is where you prove you are normal and not where you prove you're the next creative writing prodigy. Keep that in mind - we're not looking for outside the box, we're looking for works hard, plays by the rules to keep patients safe, and can complement the hierarchy.

In my statement consulting work, I've come across a lot of writers who have difficulty beginning their statements. I always advise them... how do you start a conversation with a new acquaintance? You don't generally walk up to someone and go "BOOM, the car exploded and shards of glass flew everywhere."

Yes this is for residency. Thank you for the reply

Last edited: