MSW Personal statement HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mull015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so let me start off by saying that I applied to Occupational Therapy programs last year and didn't get accepted anywhere. During my time off I've explored other options and really thought about where I see my future and have realized that it may not be in Occupational Therapy and I will only be applying to one OT program this year and have decided to pursue social work instead.

I've looked at a lot of programs and have decided on a couple of them and am now trying to write my personal statement but am feeling VERY lost. I've written personal statements for OT in the past but am not sure how to attack a social work personal statement.

I would GREATLY appreciate any advice or anyone willing to give me some examples!!!

Also any knowledge on how hard it is to get accepted to MSW programs would be appreciated too! I'm very new to this!

Members don't see this ad.

In what ways do you feel lost? Do you want to share some of the prompts that you have so that we can help direct you?
You will find that some folks say MSW programs are very "easy" to get into and others will say the inverse.

There are a few of us who closely follow this forum. Others that you might check out are at the Grad Cafe and R/socialwork on Reddit. They are very active and have tons of posts that you might find interesting

Have you ever ordered a personal statement done by a professional writer? A lot of friends of mine suggested me to consider top 10 writing service online on
www.10bestessayservices.blogspot.com and I was really amused by reviews. What do you think, guys?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't looked at the link. You can just order a faux statement? Or do you provide highlights and one is drafted for you?

This all gives me pause...

Reactions: 1 user
My first guess is that it is not okay to have your personal statement written by a 3rd party. In fact, when I look at the link, it's suggesting these skeezy places that basically write college essays for you. Nope nope nope nope nope. I wouldn't submit a personal statement written by a 3rd party. That really seems like it would be dishonest. Most of the time they are asking for a personal statement so they can see a sample of your writing, not someone else's. It is also my personal guess that if you were accepted to the program and had used one of those essay services, and then the program found out you didn't write your own personal statement, it would be breaking the student code of conduct and would be grounds for dismissal from the program.

My guess is that you are over thinking this. Just explain why you have decided on social work instead of OT. Like Sub asked, are there any prompts? My university had 5 separate prompts.

Reactions: 1 user
My first guess is that it is not okay to have your personal statement written by a 3rd party. In fact, when I look at the link, it's suggesting these skeezy places that basically write college essays for you. Nope nope nope nope nope. I wouldn't submit a personal statement written by a 3rd party. That really seems like it would be dishonest. Most of the time they are asking for a personal statement so they can see a sample of your writing, not someone else's. It is also my personal guess that if you were accepted to the program and had used one of those essay services, and then the program found out you didn't write your own personal statement, it would be breaking the student code of conduct and would be grounds for dismissal from the program.

My guess is that you are over thinking this. Just explain why you have decided on social work instead of OT. Like Sub asked, are there any prompts? My university had 5 separate prompts.
All of this