This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted920504

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I've been working on my personal statement, and one thing that I think makes me interesting is that I've been dancing (mostly ballet) for 10 years. It's the first thing I've been truly passionate about, and the joy that I feel when I'm dancing is something I just can't contain.

I think in many ways, I love dance for the same reasons I love medicine. It's hard and painful, but so rewarding because all of your work goes towards being an agent of life and happiness to others. In my junior year of college, I founded a dance club and collaborated with other dance groups to put together performances for children's hospitals and nursing homes. I've always felt like my joy in dance could never be fulfilled unless it was used for something good, something outside of myself, and this was a small way to satiate that huger to share the joy.

I'm trying to incorporate these general ideas into my personal statement. However, I'm not even sure is this is unique or special enough to be included in my personal statement (I also have almost 2 years of multiple research experiences, a published paper, volunteer hours, and work with native kids in Alaskan villages to write about). But this is really what I'm passionate about, and I think that will show.

Can I do this? Any ideas on how to approach it?
I'm a college athlete and currently applying. My PS included one paragraph on the teamwork I learned in my sport and how that drew me to medicine. I then would write one of my secondary essays over my sport as well as one of my most meaningful experiences. When your doing it like a full time job since you were a little kid it's almost necessary to be heavily featured in your app. What you don't want is what one of my teammates did: PS entirely about sport, 4 activity entries about sport, and majority of secondary essays about sport. Dance is a unique hobby but make sure you don't let it overpower the rest of your app. As far as how to write about it, just pick something you learned that either prepares you to be a doctor, draws you to medicine, or both

So I've been working on my personal statement, and one thing that I think makes me interesting is that I've been dancing (mostly ballet) for 10 years. It's the first thing I've been truly passionate about, and the joy that I feel when I'm dancing is something I just can't contain.

I think in many ways, I love dance for the same reasons I love medicine. It's hard and painful, but so rewarding because all of your work goes towards being an agent of life and happiness to others. In my junior year of college, I founded a dance club and collaborated with other dance groups to put together performances for children's hospitals and nursing homes. I've always felt like my joy in dance could never be fulfilled unless it was used for something good, something outside of myself, and this was a small way to satiate that huger to share the joy.

I'm trying to incorporate these general ideas into my personal statement. However, I'm not even sure is this is unique or special enough to be included in my personal statement (I also have almost 2 years of multiple research experiences, a published paper, volunteer hours, and work with native kids in Alaskan villages to write about). But this is really what I'm passionate about, and I think that will show.

Can I do this? Any ideas on how to approach it?

I was a ballet dancer for almost 20 years and was a nontraditional applicant last cycle. I used it as one of my activities, although not in the most meaningful activities. I included two sentences about it in my personal statement. I found being concise was helpful and in my activities I also noted the professional companies I danced with. I had 12 interviews and it came up in each one, prompted by the interviewers. Those were my opportunities to have discussions about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.