personal statement...how do I do a word check?...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you can do a simple word count on ms word...I am shooting for 1000words...do I need to do a word or character count. If I do a character count, I'm really at a loss...

Members don't see this ad.

Very simple.

Word count is located at the bottom of the screen (you'll see a number then a slash then a number).

5/875 means there are 875 words in the document and the cursor is sitting on the 5th word.

Likewise, a 98/102 would mean there are 102 words in the document, and the cursor is currently at word 98.

You can also go to the Tools menu and choose Word Count, which displays the total pages, words, characters (no spaces) characters (with spaces included), paragrahps, and lines. At least this happens in my version, but I use a Mac so the Windows version may not be caught up with the Mac version of Word (MS states that the Mac version of Office is superior to the Windows version).

dexadental said:
I know you can do a simple word count on ms word...I am shooting for 1000words...do I need to do a word or character count. If I do a character count, I'm really at a loss...

If you can't figure out how to create a personal statement that's below the maximum allowable number of words and copy it onto the AADSAS box, you should just give up, on life.

Give up your dreams, ambitions, hopes, everything that you think that life has to offer you, because... damn.

I mean, if I can't stop myself from eating soap everytime I walk.... I'm probably not going to be an astronaut.....

Members don't see this ad :)
mvs04 said:
If you can't figure out how to create a personal statement that's below the maximum allowable number of words and copy it onto the AADSAS box, you should just give up, on life.

Interestingly, you gave some partially good advice.

The personal statement should NOT take up the full space allotted. It gives the "feeling" that the writer left things unchecked and needed more space. An "ideal" statement will leave a large paragraph of whiteness (nothing) when printed out into the AADSAS box. It gives the reader closure when glancing at the essay.

Haha, nice to know...hot damn my personal statement is beautiful, u know that feeling u get after u know its right...well thats how I feel after 6 months and a slice of strawberry cheesecake tonight! WAHOO!

Keep in mind that MS word calculates actual words, but the AADSAS program calculates it diffferently. I think it's based on an average number of characters per word. For example, if they're using 6 characters per word as an average, then they count all the characters in the document, and divide by 6 to get the "word count." They may count spaces too for that calculation, I'm not sure. But I do know that I had 980 words on MS word, and I had to take out at least 45 words to make it under 1000 on AADSAS.

dexadental said:
Haha, nice to know...hot damn my personal statement is beautiful, u know that feeling u get after u know its right...well thats how I feel after 6 months and a slice of strawberry cheesecake tonight! WAHOO!

6 months?? wow... I did mine in a single cocain-fueld, weed-blasted, martini-infused 5 hr session. If anyone is lacking the creativity, I highly recommend cocain :thumbup: :thumbup: nothing beats that stuff.

mvs04 said:
If anyone is lacking the creativity, I highly recommend cocain :thumbup: :thumbup: nothing beats that stuff.

What did you use, snow or crack? And, I think you meant cocaine, unless English is your second language--then, it's kokain... :cool:

Haha...I prefer crack before a good organic chemistry test if I must add to this worthless discussion. How did we go from discussing my personal statement to talking about crack? Ah...the joy of SDN. Crack got me 2 A's in O-chem...heh jk...but I got those A's...teehe. About the 900 and something words...that is really good to know, I'll try to make my statement 925 words or under on word...that way it should be quite fond of it's nice little new home in the AADSAS box! Lets just hope the cut and paste movers move every word with care and gentle touch! :laugh:

dexadental said:
Haha...I prefer crack before a good organic chemistry test if I must add to this worthless discussion. How did we go from discussing my personal statement to talking about crack? Ah...the joy of SDN. Crack got me 2 A's in O-chem...heh jk...but I got those A's...teehe. About the 900 and something words...that is really good to know, I'll try to make my statement 925 words or under on word...that way it should be quite fond of it's nice little new home in the AADSAS box! Lets just hope the cut and paste movers move every word with care and gentle touch! :laugh:

Just keep it on the DL about your "study techniques!"

With a 3.9 GPA you got nothing to worry about--especially, whether your statement is 925 or 926 words...

Apply to U SOCAL--they love "high" GPA's!

This is wicked funny. heheheheheheheheheh..........
eating soap :laugh:

mvs04 said:

Give up your dreams, ambitions, hopes, everything that you think that life has to offer you, because... damn.

I mean, if I can't stop myself from eating soap everytime I walk.... I'm probably not going to be an astronaut.....