Personal statement & interviewing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrFixIt

Somewhere around Barstow...
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What in the hell am I supposed to write my PS about? I know people use this to explain discrepancies in their applications but I feel as a non-trad I have more "life experience" and gap year information to add that won't be listed on my app otherwise, but I haven't ever had a real big life-changing event that drew me to medicine, more of a lot of little things and what I took away from them over time. They'll see my grades, MCAT, work, volunteer, and research history as it is. Don't they typically ask about any discrepancies in interviews anyway? What are you all basing your essay on? Are there any unasked questions that I should be answering in my essay as a non-trad specifically? And how long of a document is appropriate?

While I'm at it, what should I expect to be asked/not asked about in interviews (assuming I don't have any issues besides some random low grade classes and retakes)?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the goal is to have these questions answered in your PS:

-"Why do you want to be a doctor?"
-"How have your extra-curriculars molded you?" (bonus points for creatively explaining how they've molded you into an ideal physician)
-*unique to you as an nontrad* "What special experience do you have as a nontrad?"

As for length, I believe there is a specified character limit.

Reactions: 1 users

-"How have your extra-curriculars molded you?" (bonus points for creatively explaining how they've molded you into an ideal physician)
-*unique to you as an nontrad* "What special experience do you have as a nontrad?"

I can roll with that. I had points 1 & 3 covered but point 2 is definitely worth putting in there. I had more personal history/experiences that help light my medical fire but I didn't feel like what I had written was substantial. Thanks for giving me more to work with.

I think I read somewhere it was a ~5200 char limit but I wasn't able to confirm that with either medical application site.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I would pretty much agree with this, except that everything you bring up should definitely be tied in to becoming a physician. That goes for extra curriculars, as well as your experiences as a non-trad. Don't bring anything up unless it is relevant to #1 above.

Reactions: 3 users
You also have the opportunity to demonstrate your maturity and character. Beyond all the objective criteria (e.g., MCAT score), your personal qualities will help set you apart.

"Why Medicine?"

"Who am I?"

Do NOT use it to explain bad academics. It only will come off as making excuses.

Save explanations for your secondaries (there might be a prompt for "explain any poor grades"), or the interview itself.

For what's in interviews, read my post on "guide to interviews" and also peruse the Interview feedback section of SDN.

What in the hell am I supposed to write my PS about? I know people use this to explain discrepancies in their applications but I feel as a non-trad I have more "life experience" and gap year information to add that won't be listed on my app otherwise, but I haven't ever had a real big life-changing event that drew me to medicine, more of a lot of little things and what I took away from them over time. They'll see my grades, MCAT, work, volunteer, and research history as it is. Don't they typically ask about any discrepancies in interviews anyway? What are you all basing your essay on? Are there any unasked questions that I should be answering in my essay as a non-trad specifically? And how long of a document is appropriate?

While I'm at it, what should I expect to be asked/not asked about in interviews (assuming I don't have any issues besides some random low grade classes and retakes)?[/QUOTE]

After I posted this I did find that thread of yours. As well as the questions we should be asking at the interviews. Those are golden, thank you!
"Why Medicine?"

"Who am I?"

Do NOT use it to explain bad academics. It only will come off as making excuses.

Save explanations for your secondaries (there might be a prompt for "explain any poor grades"), or the interview itself.

For what's in interviews, read my post on "guide to interviews" and also peruse the Interview feedback section of SDN.
[/QUOTE]

I can roll with that. I had points 1 & 3 covered but point 2 is definitely worth putting in there. I had more personal history/experiences that help light my medical fire but I didn't feel like what I had written was substantial. Thanks for giving me more to work with.

I think I read somewhere it was a ~5200 char limit but I wasn't able to confirm that with either medical application site.

AMCAS (for MD schools) has a 5300 character limit.
AACOMAS (for DO schools) has a 4500 character limit.
If you dig into the how-to guides both have published online about filling out the apps, the info is in there, and also given in the app itself (where I'm pulling from).

AMCAS (for MD schools) has a 5300 character limit.
AACOMAS (for DO schools) has a 4500 character limit.
If you dig into the how-to guides both have published online about filling out the apps, the info is in there, and also given in the app itself (where I'm pulling from).
Thanks!

I always found the life changing event stories trite and naive anyway... You're not a cookie cutter premed. Don't feel like you need to pretend to be one to get in.