Personal Statement: Is it controversial to mention needle exchanges and buprenorphine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My personal statement includes a sentence saying that I support harm reduction for drug addiction, including needle exchanges and buprenorphine.

Is this too controversial? I mean, this feels very non-controversial for a med school app.

One reason I mention it is because I have been fighting for these things in my community. But I fully realize that it is controversial because I am bashing heads with Republican city councilors and police officers who think needle exchanges are terrible.

The sentence is honestly expendable, but it is something I believe and it helps a theme.

(Possessing syringes without a prescription for syringes was illegal in my town until a few years ago, so my view of what is controversial is not well calibrated. Unless America is in worse shape than I thought.)

Members don't see this ad.

It may be wiser to advocate in other settings than your PS... just because you never know who is going to read it... from my experience a reasonable number of docs are politically conservative.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh, I was afraid someone would say that. That is the most controversial thing in my PS, and I hate to admit that it might be too much.

Ugh, I was afraid someone would say that. That is the most controversial thing in my PS, and I hate to admit that it might be too much.

Well, I'm a premed, gyngyn is an Adcom, you decide whose advice to take ;-)

Reactions: 3 users
It is well-accepted medical practice (risk reduction). Do not fear.

Reactions: 3 users
The ayes have it, I will mention needle exchanges and buprenorphine.

This pleases me.

Reactions: 5 users
This post makes me happy.

Remember, OP, you're dealing with physicians/academics/medical students. All of which use logic. It's not like a bunch of status-quo politicians are going through your app! Harm reduction is always a good thing,

I think the biggest issue is how you frame it. Just be careful.

>One reason I mention it is because I have been fighting for these things in my community. But I fully realize that it is controversial because I am bashing heads with Republican city councilors and police officers who think needle exchanges are terrible.

I think it’s phrased decently, but I just want to warn you not to come off as demonizing people who oppose needle exchanges/suboxone.

Addiction is an area where the medical community has to work very closely with the community as a whole… I can’t tell you how frustrating it is when the public health commissioner is trashing Republicans and the Chamber of Commerce and you’re just sitting there like… we need these people to be okay with hiring our patients on suboxone… no stop… (Yes I can, it’s moderately frustrating)

Reactions: 1 user
If this is a thing you are passionate about, would you want to go to a medical school that harshly judged you for doing it? Especially when there are going to be plenty of schools that don't?

BTW, apply to BU.

Reactions: 1 users
If this is a thing you are passionate about, would you want to go to a medical school that harshly judged you for doing it? Especially when there are going to be plenty of schools that don't?

BTW, apply to BU.

To piggyback off of this, you also don't want to go to a school that would allow an interviewer or adcom who lets his/her political views influence their judgment of an applicant. Of course there will be politically conservative physicians, but their views on needle programs, LGBT+, planned parenthood, etc etc should not be allowed to influence their impression and evaluation of you. If they're found to do that, they should be removed from their position in admissions.

+1
I wrote about very similar topics and BU was all about treating opiod dependance and harm reduction.

They don't call that part of Mass Ave "methadone mile" for nothing....

In all seriousness, though I'm sure they hate that nomenclature, I would love to go to BU for their poverty/community health programs.

Really easy to say that once you're a physician... with how hard it is getting into med school any acceptance at an accreditation school (inb4northstate) is a victory even if there are issues with the school

To piggyback off of this, you also don't want to go to a school that would allow an interviewer or adcom who lets his/her political views influence their judgment of an applicant. Of course there will be politically conservative physicians, but their views on needle programs, LGBT+, planned parenthood, etc etc should not be allowed to influence their impression and evaluation of you. If they're found to do that, they should be removed from their position in admissions.

Really easy to say that once you're a physician... with how hard it is getting into med school any acceptance at an accreditation school (inb4northstate) is a victory even if there are issues with the school

Huh? I was in your shoes just a few years ago, and I was involved with admissions all throughout med school, so I am very much aware of how hard it is to get in, thanks.

Of course if you only get one acceptance then you just have to go with it, but if you have multiple options you want to go somewhere that will support and advocate for the students, not let someone's social/political beliefs influence an applicant's chances. Admissions should be applicant-centered, and if someone is doing the applicants a disservice, they can and should be talked to or dismissed.

BTW, apply to BU.

You know, people always say this but it's not really a buyer's market.