Personal Statement - Is writing about your own medical issues a good or bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which topic should I write about?

• Total voters

springoriole

Reaction score
I am debating on a couple of personal statement topics. On one side the reason I want to become a physician is because I went through a lot as a kid and it shaped me into the person I am. I have idiopathic pancreatitis since birth and no one can figure out why (obviously, since it's "idiopathic"). I've been told two different things:
A) it is a really good story and I should write about it
B) it's a good story but why would medical schools want to admit someone with a chronic illness?
I could write about the first time I performed CPR on my mom after her stroke or taking care of my dad after he was diagnosed with cancer as well, but those two things did not play a big of a part to why I want to become a physician.

Any input would be much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Many of us are motivated by our own experiences with illness. If done well, writing about these experiences can be effective.

Make sure you focus your personal statement on your motivations for pursuing medicine as a career and your suitability for the profession. Part of this can include your own illness (mine did) but it should include some experiences from the caretaker/provider side of things as well (through your shadowing, volunteering, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users
If your illness genuinely influenced your decision to pursue medicine, then it would be a mistake to not mention this in your personal statement. Sometimes mentioning personal struggles can be a double edged sword (esp with mental health issues), though less likely in this situation. Just my thoughts

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
I am debating on a couple of personal statement topics. On one side the reason I want to become a physician is because I went through a lot as a kid and it shaped me into the person I am. I have idiopathic pancreatitis since birth and no one can figure out why (obviously, since it's "idiopathic"). I've been told two different things:
A) it is a really good story and I should write about it
B) it's a good story but why would medical schools want to admit someone with a chronic illness?
I could write about the first time I performed CPR on my mom after her stroke or taking care of my dad after he was diagnosed with cancer as well, but those two things did not play a big of a part to why I want to become a physician.

Any input would be much appreciated!!
B is not how Adcoms think.

A is fine. It's common, but it's still fine.

I was born with idiopathic pancreatitis and because of this I spent the majority of my childhood in and out of hospitals. I saw how hard my doctors worked to try to treat me and that made me realize how much I wanted to do the same for others one day. So when it came time to write my personal statement I thought talking about the challenges my disease has caused me, how it made me a stronger person and all the obstacles I had to overcome was a good idea. But I was told that it might not be a good idea became why would medical schools consider someone with an ongoing chronic illness when there are hundred of other applicants with the same qualifications but without the baggage?
I also have another topic I could talk about which is the first time I saved my moms life by performing CPR after she had a stroke and taking care of my dad after he was diagnosed with cancer. I'm leaning towards the first topic but I'm not sure if it would be a safe choice. Do medical schools take into consideration a student's personal medical issues? Would it make me less desirable as an applicant?
Yes, especially as it pertains to whether you have the ability to meet all the technical requirements of the curriculum. No school wants to admit someone who is unable to complete the curriculum or unable to sustain a career in health care. You have to show how you have properly managed your chronic illness so that you can complete the curriculum with minimal need for accommodations.

I always anticipate there is a "unique challenges/diversity" essay that is not part of the AMCAS application but should be in most secondary applications. This is probably where your personal story should go, not in the PS. I think the observation of the doctors and health care team taking care of your father is a better choice. It is always a bit dangerous to talk about a very emotional incident because it becomes fair game in interviews so you need to be sure you can maintain your professional composure on follow-up.

Reactions: 1 user