Personal Statement Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidxavi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished drafting my personal statement, and I am very happy with how it turned out. It very succinctly demonstrates my motivation through a single activity that has been particularly meaningful to me. My concern is that my statement is only 3000 characters long, while the maximum is 5300 char. Is it uncommon to have a personal statement of this length?

Many of the sample statements I've read essentially try to show how all their activities fit together...is it expected that personal statements will do this? I feel that my motivation for medicine is pretty clear through this one activity.

Members don't see this ad.

I was always advised to fill whatever space was given to me on the application, because it is probably that there could be another activity or anecdote that would help bolster the argument of the essay. But, definitely don't beat something to death if you think you've covered it well enough. It's a personal statement, so it's going to be different for everyone's unique situation. You've got plenty of time to figure it out, so maybe set it aside for a week or two and come back to it, maybe you will think of something that could be added, if not, then you might be good with what you have.

*Edit*: Also I would try to avoid having the personal statement sound like a resume of activities, that's what the Activities List is for on the AMCAS. My first drafts of my PS were like that, and thankfully I was able to get away from that bad habit.

I think a strong PS conveys not only your motivation for medicine, but who you are as a person. Talking about just one experience may make this harder; it's hard to paint a broad picture with just one specific moment. I agree with Ecureuil in that another anecdote would probably help bolster your argument.

Members don't see this ad :)
4 separate interviewers praised my 3300 character PS. Answer the questions 1. Why medicine and 2. Why are you special honestly and compellingly, whether it takes 3000 or 5300 characters.

There is a famous quote: "If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter."

If you feel your personal statement fully and concisely illustrates that you can write well and tells who you are as a person, why you want to be a physician, and that you know what you're getting yourself into by pursuing a career in medicine--then I'd say you're golden!

Most people have difficulty doing all of these things within the max length. If you can do it in fewer words, then all the better. Admissions officers will appreciate the good writing and brevity! Trust me, there is no prize for being verbose.

However, if your personal statement doesn't accomplish all of the above stated goals, then you may want to go back to the drawing board--because it should.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user