Personal Statement Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sfeeney

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm just wondering how many characters all of your personal statements are. Mine is about 3500 characters and I am wondering if that is too short or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I'm just wondering how many characters all of your personal statements are. Mine is about 3500 characters and I am wondering if that is too short or not.

There is no "right" length of a personal statement, however, I've heard from multiple admissions counselors that if you're given 4500 characters, use 4500 characters. At 3500 characters, that's at least 100 more words you can use to tell your story and sell yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I would say to use the whole length given, I was writing my personal statement and I thought 4500 characters was not enough at all. Just to confirm the 4500 character limit, includes spaces and commons?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it does include spaces and punctuation. To check, you can paste what you have in the essay box on OptomCAS and it will tell you how many you’ve used up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mine was around 4000, you really don't need to use all of the characters if you feel like you've said all you need to and have an overall strong statement! Have lots of people read it and see if they think there's anything else you could add or if it seems too short when reading it. Otherwise, I think you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 user