Personal Statement & Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thor12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being declined in 2016/2017, I just completed a MS biology program with a 4.0 but completed undergrad with a pretty low GPA (3.2). I feel like I need to bring up the fact that my improvement shows that I can handle the high-level coursework. But I'm not sure how to talk about it other than something like "I did this to show that I can handle the coursework." Is this something I should bring up on the personal statement or somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

Why deny the fact you wanted to prove yourself? Own it, you worked hard and proved you can handle courses. Not something to avoid, rather highlight. That said, maybe mentioning that getting your masters was also a nice bonus

When I work with ppl on their personal statements, one of the things I always ask is what are you trying to say with your PS? It's not simply a mishmash of random dental-related experiences that you remember. It should coherently tell a story and highlight specific strengths about yourself. So, is "being able to handle coursework" something you want to spend real estate in your essay on, something you want the adcom to know about you? Or is there a better place for it (such as in a letter of recommendation or a supplemental essay). If the 4.0 is truly something you're proud of, then go ahead! Otherwise, I'm sure you also have more interesting stories to tell.

I definitely agree. Do not just toss the masters work into your personal statement and mess up the story you are trying to tell. If you can work it in there as part of your story and it is something that you really want to ephasize then by all means.

The schools too are going to be able to see that you accomplished something just by looking at your GPA. A 4.0 in a master's program is not something that they will just gloss over and forget.