Personal Statement online help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocShock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of writing my PS and I came across some online companies that specialize in formulating and critiquing essays. I am a decent writer but I wanted to get some professional help. I was wondering if anyone has used one, and if not how did you guys get help with writing your essays? I found two that I liked (Accepted.com and EssayEdge.com), but they cost a good amount. Are they worth it? Please Help!

Members don't see this ad.

You're thinking about buying a personal statement? That's funny, dude.

Why don't you write your own statement, then have your premed advisor read it and/or swap it w/other applicants on SDN?

Wow. I'm not trying to buy it. They don't write it for you, they just give professional critiques. Having someone else write the thing for me is exactly the opposite that I want to achieve here. I just want to search for professional help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I misinterpreted your message. Sorry. I've never even heard of professional PS critics.

I had a pre-med advisor look over my final draft. Mine was in the works for a couple of years because I gave a working draft of the statement to my LOR writers. Some gave feedback on it, others didn't. All appreciated having it to help them write their letters. That's all the help I got with mine, but I pretty good success with it.

DocShock: I'm going to have some time on my hands after Friday, feel free to PM a copy of your statement to me.

Best of luck!

Are fellow SDNer's still offering their voluntary services to read personal statements? I couldn't find a list for this year, but it really helped me out to have people on this board read my PS and offer positive feedback.

There are a lot of very smart and knowledgeable people here. And they'll read your PS for FREE!

It's all good Dr. Detroit, just had to make that clear. I have been working on a draft for some time now and have had a few friends look it over along with one of the pre-med advisors. However, I still feel that it doesnt have enough ooomph to leave a substantial impact on the admissions committee. Thank you for volunteering to read it over. I'll be sure to send it over to you when my latest draft is completed.

I'm still curious if anyone has ever used one of these online essay critiquers though.

Do a search - I know there was a thread recently about essayedge.

I tried a search before I started this thread, but I guess I spelled it wrong or something. Worked well this time though. Thanks!!! It seems like people have very mixed opinions. Oh well, I'll see how far I get with my personal and school resources.