Personal Statement - prelim year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TX_MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an MS4 applying to anesthesia this year...and had a quick question...

in respect to personal statements for prelim medicine...can I use my anesthesia personal statement for my prelim medicine applications...or should I make a new personal statement catered to internal medicine?

thanks so much in advance!

-TX

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied, anesthesia faculty and my med school dean said to use the same statement -- makes sense, since those same traits that make you attractive to anesthesia programs will also make you attractive to prelim programs.

I ended up using the same statement with an extra line or two explaining why I wanted to go to a strong transitional program, blah blah blah. In the end I don't think my personal statement made a huge difference either way, but it did give my interviewers something to talk about.

I used the same personal statement. Didn't modify it at all. These prelim programs know you are only going to be with them for a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: Thanks guys! When I read the title of this thread I thought "oh... I hadn't thought about that."

... I'm going to assume it's cool to use the same letters, even though they say "anesthesiology" all over them...?

:thumbup: Thanks guys! When I read the title of this thread I thought "oh... I hadn't thought about that."

... I'm going to assume it's cool to use the same letters, even though they say "anesthesiology" all over them...?

Yes

I have three versions of my personal statements targeting locations with family ties. Otherwise no personal statement just for prelim/trans.

But I requested one LOR made only for transitional/preliminary medicine. Told my LOR writer to focus on my non-anesthesiology traits like long term patient care and extensive ancillary staff interactions.

Don't forget that some preliminary medicine programs require a LOR from your medicine CHAIRMAN. Read the fine lines at their website.

Last edited: