Personal statement questions and LOR questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a psych resident in my last year and want to do a second residency in FP and plan to practice both part time, I love psych but miss the medicine. I am applying to FP this year, MD and DO. If I am lucky enough to get a DO spot I can start as a PGY2 because I did a TRI. I am in a MD psych residency.
A few questions
1. My personal statement, I know one page is ideal, is a page and a half a deal breaker?
2.Being that I am trying to condense it down, how essential is it to mention how I could bring things I learned in psych to fp, ie motivational interviewing versus why I want to do fp? If I leave both in, it ends up being two pages.
3. I transferred programs, I "traded up" from a less prestigious program to a more prestigious program, is it necessary to mention this in my PS. I am applying locally and it's pretty obvious that I'm at a more prestigious program now and if offered an interview, I have a letter from my former PD stating that I left in good standing

About LORS- all of them are from my former program. I was there longer and knew the attendings much better, it was a smaller program and I really left on great terms with everyone and go to their social events still. Some of the attendings at my new program weren't all that supportive of me doing a second residency in a different field so I stopped mentioning it. Would it look bad to have all of my letters from my former program?
Is it expected that I have a letter from my current PD?
The initial PD at my former program quit but wrote me a letter.
I was going to have a letter from my current PD "just in case" and I don't know how ERAS works, he really doesn't know me at all. Can I submit my four letters from my prior program and if they ask for a letter from my current PD, erase one of the other letters on ERAS and submit his? I have STRONG letters from my prior program and I kinda think his would be pretty generic, not bad, just generic, he doesn't know me, I have met with him during two semi annual evals and when I interviewed, that's it, what could he really say about me. The other people who wrote letters for me worked with me for months, - one worked with me for 18 months.
Thanks.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a psych resident in my last year and want to do a second residency in FP and plan to practice both part time, I love psych but miss the medicine. I am applying to FP this year, MD and DO. If I am lucky enough to get a DO spot I can start as a PGY2 because I did a TRI. I am in a MD psych residency.
A few questions
1. My personal statement, I know one page is ideal, is a page and a half a deal breaker?
2.Being that I am trying to condense it down, how essential is it to mention how I could bring things I learned in psych to fp, ie motivational interviewing versus why I want to do fp? If I leave both in, it ends up being two pages.
3. I transferred programs, I "traded up" from a less prestigious program to a more prestigious program, is it necessary to mention this in my PS. I am applying locally and it's pretty obvious that I'm at a more prestigious program now and if offered an interview, I have a letter from my former PD stating that I left in good standing

About LORS- all of them are from my former program. I was there longer and knew the attendings much better, it was a smaller program and I really left on great terms with everyone and go to their social events still. Some of the attendings at my new program weren't all that supportive of me doing a second residency in a different field so I stopped mentioning it. Would it look bad to have all of my letters from my former program?
Is it expected that I have a letter from my current PD?
The initial PD at my former program quit but wrote me a letter.
I was going to have a letter from my current PD "just in case" and I don't know how ERAS works, he really doesn't know me at all. Can I submit my four letters from my prior program and if they ask for a letter from my current PD, erase one of the other letters on ERAS and submit his? I have STRONG letters from my prior program and I kinda think his would be pretty generic, not bad, just generic, he doesn't know me, I have met with him during two semi annual evals and when I interviewed, that's it, what could he really say about me. The other people who wrote letters for me worked with me for months, - one worked with me for 18 months.
Thanks.:)
I won't comment on the rest of it, but ERAS removed the ability to "unassign" letters two or three years ago. Once you have assigned four letters, no additional letters can be assigned. It's my opinion that your letter from your current PD should almost certainly be submitted to every program you apply to, but for you (as someone who is actually graduating a program, not quitting/resigning/being fired) it may not be *as* essential as for someone in the other circumstances. It's a unique enough question that there's probably no definite answers.