Personal Statement Questions to Answer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alicealicealice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Again, a search didn't get me too far; if I'm missing a resource please let me know.
For the ERAS personal statement (for IM), are there some key points that we are expected to address/the PD is specifically looking for in there? Im comfortable in telling my story and background (helps set me apart somewhat) without much fanfare, but once I try to answer "why IM" im faltering as to how not to sound dumb and generic. I feel like the reasons for IM are not profound, and every applicant says they want to teach/research/blah blah blah. How far should you go in describing your plans? For example, I have a strong interest in pulm/cc based on my clinical experiences (also got a strong letter from a pulm/cc Sub I attending), however most my research is in different areas of medicine (mostly outpatient pcare based clinical research). How should I think about the goal of the PS from a PD's point of view? I really want it to be minimal fluff but I dont want to have any glaring omissions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.