Please help -- I edited my Personal Statement TODAY because of a huge error. Do I need to email program coordinators? Not sure next step.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor_Strange

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short, for some inexplicable reason my second paragraph was missing three lines of text. I just noticed today. I fixed it easily since it was in my Word Doc, and still fits one page, but I don't know what to do next.

I already have received a few invites from Internal Medicine programs, but should I email program coordinators?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

No.

Applications are no longer downloaded, they just "exist in the cloud", so your PS as amended is what anyone who looks at your file will see tomorrow morning.

Now, is it possible that there are programs that print out all of the files they get and then review them on paper before deciding who to invite? I guess so, but this is highly unlikely.

Similarly, unless your interview is this coming Monday, I doubt any program that prints (or exports to PDF or whatever) your file has done so already.

Relax

Reactions: 1 user
No.

Applications are no longer downloaded, they just "exist in the cloud", so your PS as amended is what anyone who looks at your file will see tomorrow morning.

Now, is it possible that there are programs that print out all of the files they get and then review them on paper before deciding who to invite? I guess so, but this is highly unlikely.

Similarly, unless your interview is this coming Monday, I doubt any program that prints (or exports to PDF or whatever) your file has done so already.

Relax

Ok, I appreciate this. This is exactly what I did not know about. I made the edits, and it's done.

Thank you

Thank goodness. I realized last night that the email I had listed on ERAS had a typo in it and went to an address I do not have access to. I only realized this because I had seen a message on the ERAS portal saying to expect further instructions on scheduling my interview within 48hrs, and then nothing materialized. Once I figured out how to get into the thing to schedule my interview I saw I had another interview offered from my home institution, so I was able to schedule that as well.

Any reason to contact the rest of the residency programs I applied to and alert them to the typo in my email that was up for less than a week on ERAS? I am assuming the nearby programs just invited me quickly because of proximity and that no one else would have extended an invite yet, but I would also feel foolish to miss out on an interview because of this...

Thank goodness. I realized last night that the email I had listed on ERAS had a typo in it and went to an address I do not have access to. I only realized this because I had seen a message on the ERAS portal saying to expect further instructions on scheduling my interview within 48hrs, and then nothing materialized. Once I figured out how to get into the thing to schedule my interview I saw I had another interview offered from my home institution, so I was able to schedule that as well.

Any reason to contact the rest of the residency programs I applied to and alert them to the typo in my email that was up for less than a week on ERAS? I am assuming the nearby programs just invited me quickly because of proximity and that no one else would have extended an invite yet, but I would also feel foolish to miss out on an interview because of this...
You may have missed out on quite a few interviews, actually... if they went through something like Thalamus or Interview Broker and not ERAS.

Is that email with a typo an available one? You could try to make an account if it is and you might be able to see any emails sent to it

Yeah, when I got into thalamus (also needed to talk to their tech support cause they had the wrong email) there were 3 interviews pending, fortunately all still with spots. Even once I've scheduled interviews there's been issues like the assistant sent emails with the zoom links that bounced, etc. It's kind of a nightmare, but fortunately I have been able to reach out to most programs successfully and feel lucky for the interviews I do have.

Unless someone knows of a "@gmail.edu" domain somewhere I'm pretty sure I am not getting ahold of that account. A word to the wise not to fill in ERAS during the middle of a medicine sub-i when you are exhausted...

(edited for typos)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user