Personal Statement Readers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

animalrie

TAMU c/o 2020!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if a recent thread has been made (I couldn't find one by searching), but I figured we could get a list going of people willing to read personal statements, even if it is a tad bit early in the game (applying for 2016 entrance). I'm definitely needing someone to look over mine as I'm planning on sending it to my LOR writers early. And I can contribute as a reader in the future (once I have something worth contributing ;)). So, assuming I didn't miss a previous thread on this, who is amazing and gracious enough to read personal statements? :p

Edit:
To make this process easier and ensure that PS readers who are no longer available to help don't continue to receive PMs, I've borrowed the instructions from the Allo PS reader thread.

For current readers, read the most recent post!

From Pre-Allo:
DO NOT ERASE THESE INSTRUCTIONS!
1) Click "quote" on the most recent post.
2) Add your SDN screen name, your credentials, and specific things you are willing to edit for (content only, grammar only, etc). DO NOT post your email address.
3) Delete the quote tags at both the top and the bottom.
4) If you are unable to read any more personal statements, please come back and remove your name from the list.

Example:
Username | Vet student | focus on grammar/readability/content/etc | any other pertinent info

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would be happy to read and give feedback. I tend to be pretty harsh while editing, it's the writer in me - but I try to keep it more constructive and less critical!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I'd be glad to read for people. I'm good with grammar editing, and eliminating wordiness. Feel free to email me at njnealon@ gmail.com :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be glad to read some. Not in vet school yet.....but had quiet a bit of experience with writing personal statements in my undergrad Animal Science Career prep class.

I'm bumping this so us c/o 2020 applicants can get some help :) Just to be sure, is there anywhere else where current PS Readers are listed? I know Allo has one but no vet students there...

Last edited:
I'll read too! Message me.

I'll read this time around :) I had some people read for me, so I'll pay it forward :)

Since apparently there is not a current thread for this in Pre-Vet, I edited my original post to include some (hopefully helpful) instructions.

If you want to add/remove yourself from the list, just quote this post and edit it in your next post. Hopefully this works!

So readers now are:

CURRENT READERS
HowIMetYourPet | (add info here if you wish)

RS1 | (add info here if you wish)

Hopeful_DVM | (add info here if you wish)

Njnealon | (add info here if you wish)

stealthoscope | (add info here if you wish)

Since apparently there is not a current thread for this in Pre-Vet, I edited my original post to include some (hopefully helpful) instructions.

If you want to add/remove yourself from the list, just quote this post and edit it in your next post. Hopefully this works!

So readers now are:

CURRENT READERS

beatles1964- VM-2 student- When it comes to proofreading, I usually ask people what they'd like me to focus on. I can make suggestions for improvement with smaller, nit-picky things like grammar and word choice, but can also give advice regarding overall flow and structure. Sometimes I can be sorta harsh when it comes to finding minor grammar flaws that can be tweaked here and there, but I definitely take the time to read and reread sentences to make sure things make sense. I will have time to devote to reading anytime between now and when applications are due, but please be mindful of the VMCAS deadline.

CURRENT READERS

kaydubs |

beatles1964 |VM-2 student | When it comes to proofreading, I usually ask people what they'd like me to focus on. I can make suggestions for improvement with smaller, nit-picky things like grammar and word choice, but can also give advice regarding overall flow and structure. Sometimes I can be sorta harsh when it comes to finding minor grammar flaws that can be tweaked here and there, but I definitely take the time to read and reread sentences to make sure things make sense. I will have time to devote to reading anytime between now and when applications are due, but please be mindful of the VMCAS deadline.

WildZoo | Accepted vet student c/o 2019 | I'm chilling for the summer so I have a lot of time to help out. I'm willing to go over content, grammar, flow, whatever you need and at any stage in the process from rough outline to final draft.

CURRENT READERS

Njnealon | Please email me at [email protected] if you are intereted! My summer starts on May 15th, so I'll have plenty of time to read after then. I applied to a lot of schools on the east coast, and California if that helps. Also, I'm in a combined program (PhD) so I can help if anyone has a question about supplemental essays, etc along that line! Also fun fact: I'm teach ACT english, so I can help a lot with grammar, syntax, and other mechanics. I'd be glad to help all of you, good luck and happy writing! :)

kaydubs |

beatles1964 |VM-2 student | When it comes to proofreading, I usually ask people what they'd like me to focus on. I can make suggestions for improvement with smaller, nit-picky things like grammar and word choice, but can also give advice regarding overall flow and structure. Sometimes I can be sorta harsh when it comes to finding minor grammar flaws that can be tweaked here and there, but I definitely take the time to read and reread sentences to make sure things make sense. I will have time to devote to reading anytime between now and when applications are due, but please be mindful of the VMCAS deadline.

WildZoo | Accepted vet student c/o 2019 | I'm chilling for the summer so I have a lot of time to help out. I'm willing to go over content, grammar, flow, whatever you need and at any stage in the process from rough outline to final draft.

Also and @beatles1964 I'm a huge Beatles fan myself! (and 60's music in general). I'm always really partial to Abbey Road when studying for finals... what about you? Do you have a favorite album, or Beatles time period? :)

Just taking it out of the quote box so it's easier to see

CURRENT READERS

Njnealon | Please email me at [email protected] if you are intereted! My summer starts on May 15th, so I'll have plenty of time to read after then. I applied to a lot of schools on the east coast, and California if that helps. Also, I'm in a combined program (PhD) so I can help if anyone has a question about supplemental essays, etc along that line! Also fun fact: I'm teach ACT english, so I can help a lot with grammar, syntax, and other mechanics. I'd be glad to help all of you, good luck and happy writing!

kaydubs |

Members don't see this ad :)
CURRENT READERS

Njnealon | Please email me at [email protected] if you are intereted! My summer starts on May 15th, so I'll have plenty of time to read after then. I applied to a lot of schools on the east coast, and California if that helps. Also, I'm in a combined program (PhD) so I can help if anyone has a question about supplemental essays, etc along that line! Also fun fact: I'm teach ACT english, so I can help a lot with grammar, syntax, and other mechanics. I'd be glad to help all of you, good luck and happy writing!

kaydubs |

Gwenevre | Going to be taking it a little easy this summer, so I'll have some time to read and critique. Just send me a PM and we'll set up e-mail communication.

Also and @beatles1964 I'm a huge Beatles fan myself! (and 60's music in general). I'm always really partial to Abbey Road when studying for finals... what about you? Do you have a favorite album, or Beatles time period? :)

haha, that's awesome! Yeah, the Beatles are great. I've been to more tribute concerts and festivals than I can count. I can't listen to them when I study because I end up singing and not studying, or I end up getting super distracted and picking up my guitar. I can't pick a favorite album... I do really like their early albums (Hard Days Night, Help, Meet the Beatles, Please Please Me), especially those associated with their movies, but I'm just as much a fan of their later stuff. Abbey Road is definitely a classic.

Reactions: 1 users
CURRENT READERS

kaydubs |

SummerTheLynx | Accepted vet student c/o 2019 | I am also chilling for the summer so I have a bunch of time to help out. I am able to help with any stage in the process, not sure exactly what I am best with but maybe @WildZoo can weigh in on that?

@SummerTheLynx is an awesome PS reader, I know from personal experience :D Much of that flurry of writing and revision has left my brain, but I'd say one of the most helpful things he did was help with rewording so that I could get in under the character limit. That was quite the task.

CURRENT READERS

kaydubs |

SummerTheLynx | Accepted vet student c/o 2019 | I am also chilling for the summer so I have a bunch of time to help out. I am able to help with any stage in the process, not sure exactly what I am best with but maybe @@WildZoo can weigh in on that?

GAH-47D | Accepted vet student - U of Ill, Ohio, UTK; attending UTK c/o 2019; BA-English/British Literature, Creative Writing; BS - Biology | I'm cool with helping at any stage; the only thing I won't do is write it for you ;) PM me for email address, I'm available until mid-August :D

CURRENT READERS

kaydubs |

SummerTheLynx | Accepted vet student c/o 2019 | I am also chilling for the summer so I have a bunch of time to help out. I am able to help with any stage in the process, not sure exactly what I am best with but maybe @@WildZoo can weigh in on that?

GAH-47D | Accepted vet student - U of Ill, Ohio, UTK; attending UTK c/o 2019; BA-English/British Literature, Creative Writing; BS - Biology | I'm cool with helping at any stage; the only thing I won't do is write it for you ;) PM me for email address, I'm available until mid-August :D

that redhead | c/o 2015, have helped plenty of SDNers in the past.

Last edited:
CURRENT READERS

kaydubs |

GAH-47D | Accepted vet student - U of Ill, Ohio, UTK; attending UTK c/o 2019; BA-English/British Literature, Creative Writing; BS - Biology | I'm cool with helping at any stage; the only thing I won't do is write it for you attachFull191847 PM me for email address, I'm available until mid-August attachFull191846

KitCat | TUSVM C/O 2019 | I can help with grammar and general advice. I'm available between now and August 19. June 27-July 11 I'll be out of the country.

Last edited:
haha, that's awesome! Yeah, the Beatles are great. I've been to more tribute concerts and festivals than I can count. I can't listen to them when I study because I end up singing and not studying, or I end up getting super distracted and picking up my guitar. I can't pick a favorite album... I do really like their early albums (Hard Days Night, Help, Meet the Beatles, Please Please Me), especially those associated with their movies, but I'm just as much a fan of their later stuff. Abbey Road is definitely a classic.
The early albums are great too, I love hearing how their sound evolved over time. I've been to a bunch of tribute festivals myself too! Glad someone else enjoys them! Have you ever been to The Fest? I went a few years ago, for an afternoon, and it was awesome! So many Beatles fans in one place, and lots of live music, speakers, and even a John Lennon art exhibit. I highly recommend it if you ever get the chance.

CURRENT READERS

kaydubs | AWESOME | Senior vet student - PM me if interested in having me read your PS. Double major in bio & philosophy with English lit minor. Happy to analyze grammar, flow, thematic structure and ease anxiety about applying :biglove: Available whenever, on clinics now.

GAH-47D | Accepted vet student - U of Ill, Ohio, UTK; attending UTK c/o 2019; BA-English/British Literature, Creative Writing; BS - Biology | I'm cool with helping at any stage; the only thing I won't do is write it for you attachFull191847 PM me for email address, I'm available until mid-August attachFull191846

KitCat | TUSVM C/O 2019 | I can help with grammar and general advice. I'm available between now and August 19. June 27-July 11 I'll be out of the country.

Edit: June 27th-July 4th I will be on vacation and might not have access to a computer

CURRENT READERS

stealthoscope | Cornell vet school c/o 2019 | I love writing and critiquing, and would be happy to give your personal statement a look! I do tend to be pretty harsh when editing, but it's only because that's the kind of critique I most value receiving for my own writing. I want to help you make sure that your personal statement really portrays to your readers the kind of person you are, and the kind of doctor you hope to be :) Also happy to send general advice or tips if you have any questions! PM me.

kaydubs | AWESOME | Senior vet student - PM me if interested in having me read your PS. Double major in bio & philosophy with English lit minor. Happy to analyze grammar, flow, thematic structure and ease anxiety about applying :biglove: Available whenever, on clinics now.

Bumping this since I got a request to read a personal statement even though I am not listed for this year. Sorry, I can't read personal statements right now, but this is the place to find who can read personal statements.

CURRENT READERS

stealthoscope | Cornell vet school c/o 2019 | I love writing and critiquing, and would be happy to give your personal statement a look! I do tend to be pretty harsh when editing, but it's only because that's the kind of critique I most value receiving for my own writing. I want to help you make sure that your personal statement really portrays to your readers the kind of person you are, and the kind of doctor you hope to be :) Also happy to send general advice or tips if you have any questions! PM me.

MouseWrangler | Ohio State c/o 2019 | Happy to read personal statements for content and/or grammar.

Im sorry I 'm not quite sure how this thread works :/
Can anyone read and give me some feedback on my Personal Statement?
Can I just PM some of the readers on the list?

Thanks

Im sorry I 'm not quite sure how this thread works :/
Can anyone read and give me some feedback on my Personal Statement?
Can I just PM some of the readers on the list?

Thanks
Yes, the purpose of the thread is to give you a list of people who you can PM to ask if they can read your PS

CURRENT READERS
MouseyMouse |Accepted vet student c/o '19 | I'm a nontrad who used to teach high school English, so I have a lot of experience critiquing essays. Rather than just tell writers what's good or bad, I like to make suggestions and ask questions to guide the process. I have a lot of free time now and am happy to help with any aspect of your essay, but please proofread first. Expect to get an annotated document in return. I :love:editing!

MouseWrangler | Ohio State c/o 2019 | Happy to read personal statements for content and/or grammar.

Removing my name from the list until I work through the half dozen that I've received over the last few days. If you have sent me a draft previously and I offered to look at future drafts, I will honor that. But no more new peeps for now! :)

CURRENT READERS

MouseyMouse |Accepted vet student c/o '19 | I'm a nontrad who used to teach high school English, so I have a lot of experience critiquing essays. Rather than just tell writers what's good or bad, I like to make suggestions and ask questions to guide the process. I have a lot of free time now and am happy to help with any aspect of your essay, but please proofread first. Expect to get an annotated document in return. I :love:editing!

GAH-47D : Took my name off the list. Classes are in full swing now, but I'll be available again next summer!

kaydubs: should've removed myself sooner. Best of luck!!!!

stealthoscope | Cornell vet school c/o 2019 | *NOTE* I've already started vet school so I'm super busy, but I'm happy to give advice or answer questions if I have time. Feel free to PM me, but if I don't get back to you, it's nothing personal - I'm just drowning in anatomy :( -- I love writing and critiquing, and I do tend to be pretty harsh when editing, but it's only because that's the kind of critique I most value receiving for my own writing. I want to help you make sure that your personal statement really portrays to your readers the kind of person you are, and the kind of doctor you hope to be :) Also happy to send general advice or tips if you have any questions!

Anyone interested in reading a letter of intent for internships? :D