Personal Statement - should I say this or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moose786

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to mention how I initially wasn't crazy about dentistry (reason being that I knew I wanted to be a doctor, but definitely not medical doctor), and I had chosen it because of similar reasons as mentioned. But then...certain events, shadowing, etc. changed that mentality and now I find myself to be a lot more passionate about it? Because it's true, but I'm not sure if I should mention the part about me having not been crazy about it when I first decided to do it as a career.
 
I mean, Michael Jordan's first love was baseball, not basketball, and he ended up doing alright. Everyone has a change of heart about themselves at some point in their lives. As long as you show the reader that you genuinely care about the field and are passionate about it, I don't see why not.