1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

personal statement

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by murph, Apr 7, 2004.

1. murph

murph Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey

On the initial app do our personal statement have a desired theme or do we just write what we think they want. Is there a question they want answered.

Murph

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JRogoff

JRogoff Resident Palatal Phallacy
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Basically its the age old question of "Why I want to be a dentist?"

4. HBomb

HBomb Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Try the essay workshop here on this site. It might help you develop your essay further.
    http://www.studentdoctor.net/essays/index.asp

But if I were to reword your question, the question might go, "Am I my own person or am I a 'yes' man?" You didn't really say that, but if that were the question, I think it would be easier to answer. I know what y'all are thinking. Don't answer that question. Only I can answer that question! :laugh:

5. Serge718

Serge718 Member
    7+ Year Member

In my personal statement I didn't mention anything about dentistry what so ever. I talked about my research and why i think it is important. The overall message I tried to get across was that I care about people and want to help them (but never stated that in those words).

Then again maybe I should have mentioned something about dentistry and maybe then I would have gotten into dental school Just Kidding :laugh: .

Just try to get across that you care about people somehow. Talk about volunteering, your favorite job, your favorite hobby, something interesting. They are well aware that you want to be a dentist, that is why you are applying, so try being unique.

For instance, I did research with the african sleeping sickness. After a brief description, I gave a small abstract of how my research is relevant. And then I concluded with why all this is important to me. This was just how I wrote my essay, but i'm sure everyone did their own thing.

Hope this helps

6. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    My suggestion: Try to make your personal statement stands out from the other 600+ personal statements!

7. Radioheadblue

Radioheadblue Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just be honest about yourself while selling your best points and your traits that will make you a good dentist. Don't write why you think dentistry is important, but write why it is important to you, if that makes sense.

8. amberleigh

amberleigh Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In try to be honest about everything. Well, what about including something I called a greatest failure in my entire life. Like 7 years ago I accidentally did something I shouldnt have and it was a terrible mistakes, but in the end the mistakes I made turned out to be something that makes me realized that there are times that we are vulnerable, that mistakes made me feel grown up.
    Do you think the admission committee view me with it positively or negatively. Please help because I plan to include it in my PS and my predent advisor want my PS in Friday. Please tell me what you think. Thanks

9. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

IMO there are many legitimate approaches to writing a personal statement. Most people apparently prefer to highlight past achievements. But if you have obvious red flags in your application I think it may be worth using part of your statement to address those weaknesses and frame them in a positive light. That's the route I took and it worked well enough. YMMV

10. gatorfan99

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    My personal statement was almost like a resume, stating all the things extracurricular that I did while an undergrad, especially my research...

Besides that it really was all "blah, blah, blah"..

11. mnrji

mnrji Member
    7+ Year Member

Some writing people say that it is better to "show" than to merely explain.
    Do you think it is also true for personal statement to dental schools?

For example,
    (1) I can just state some points why I want to become a dentist -- I want to help others, I want to do research in dental medicine, I want flexible lifestype... etc.

Or (2) I can describe some incidents in my life that made me consider becoming a dentist.

Do you think they would like (2) better all the time?

12. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Option #2 you've listed is probably going to be the better choice 99.9% of the time.

Yes, the question is basically "why do you want to be a dentist?", however that doesn't preclude one from telling a story, which is probably the best essay.

Do NOT rehash what is already listed in your application. Don't share your stats, or your DAT scores, in your essay. The adcom has those listed on several pieces of paper already (your AADSAS application, your official DAT transcript, and on their own criterion sheet, and possibly on the outside of your candidate folder).

Your essay is time to let them see a different side of you. After being in many interviews I can say that adcoms don't always want people who have been immersed the dental profession since the age of 3. They also don't want strict science nerds. What they do want are genuine and well-rounded applicants.

If you play the piano, organized a chess club, ran for local government, wrote a children's book, started a skate park, etc., etc., then let these things be known in your essay!

And, if you feel you absolutely must rehash your stats in your essay, then try to do so without quoting direct data. There are probably times when referring to stats is beneficial, especially if you are writing about a life experience that changed your worldview and motivated you towards better academic performance. In these cases, don't say you went from a 2.8 to a 3.0 to a 3.2--but rather say you "doubled your academic performance over the past two semesters". Still paint the picture, even if you are referring to your stats. And above all, don't let references to stats overtake your essay. Use those references, if you must use them at all, to bolster your story and to make a point--don't make your numbers the point of your essay.

Just the opinion of an English major, and somebody who has sat in on over 25 interviews this year, and read 25 applicant essays.

13. mnrji

mnrji Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you!

I stayed up late last night to decide which style I would go for my personal statement. I actually wrote some drafts in the styles of Option (1) and (2). I wasn't sure which one would work better.
    But what you said helps me to sort out which draft I will choose to work on further. Thanks!!!