Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello y'all,

So I'm applying to medical school this June. I'm a permanent resident of the United States, but I was born and raised in an African country. Therefore, my personal statement is really going to revolve around my desire to return to this country and deliver quality healthcare to those with the least access to healthcare facilities and professionals. I am worried that medical schools may frown upon this because I don't plan on using my medical education to contribute to the US medical community or workforce. What do you guys think? I am an African American, cgpa 3.8/ sgpa 3.7, 517... biochem major. @Goro @LizzyM @Faha @gyngyn

Members don't see this ad.

Hello y'all,

So I'm applying to medical school this June. I'm a permanent resident of the United States, but I was born and raised in an African country. Therefore, my personal statement is really going to revolve around my desire to return to this country and deliver quality healthcare to those with the least access to healthcare facilities and professionals. I am worried that medical schools may frown upon this because I don't plan on using my medical education to contribute to the US medical community or workforce. What do you guys think? I am an African American, cgpa 3.8/ sgpa 3.7, 517... biochem major. @Goro @LizzyM @Faha @gyngyn
I'd play it down, and spin how you're like to "help your old country"

Members don't see this ad :)
How are you going to deliver that care? Do you intend to do a residency in that country? Do you know the most common and least common conditions in your homeland ? Are you independently wealthy or will you need to pay loans, and pay back those loans, in order to attend medical school? As you can see, a PS that revolves around your plan would leave me with many questions which might make me want to interview you but might also make me think that you are too idealistic to be a realistic medical student.

Reactions: 1 user
How are you going to deliver that care? Do you intend to do a residency in that country? Do you know the most common and least common conditions in your homeland ? Are you independently wealthy or will you need to pay loans, and pay back those loans, in order to attend medical school? As you can see, a PS that revolves around your plan would leave me with many questions which might make me want to interview you but might also make me think that you are too idealistic to be a realistic medical student.
Thanks for your input! Yes, I do plan on doing residency in the US and paying back all my loans while working in the US. However, in the long run, I would like to ge to a point where I contribute to the health of the country.

I have a similiar upbringing not so much as being born in a different country but being born here in the US and later on like middle school yrs being placed in a boarding school in an african country. I touched upon it a little in my PS and used it in interviews to show how my time there kinda lead to my interest in global health. I think for you showing that your time there lead to an interest in global health would be a good way to spin it. You can mention that hopefully you would be able to go back and help out your country.

Well, I think that you should show in your PS how you have tested your interest in the practice of medicine in the US and how you intend to practice medicine in the US but you could also touch on the needs you've observed in your homeland and how you hope to influence the systems of care there as well in the decades ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
As what LizzyM said, you should umbrella your reasoning for the "why medical school" question of your personal statement. Talk about how you want to serve ALL underserved communities, including your home country, and you realized this while living in Africa. I think you have a great story with tremendous resilience. Best of luck