Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc169

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone wrote a part of their personal statement about their experience tutoring students? If so, how did you express this idea as a way to answer "Why medicine?", instead of "Helping people are good traits as a doctor"? Thank you! I am just trying to look for ideas and inspiration, so anything helps!

For reference: I am the founder of a free volunteer private tutoring service at my school. I started this service because I have seen many people (including myself) struggle with Chemical Engineering classes at my college, with little support from the profs and TAs. The tutoring services focuses on 1-on-1 tutoring (as opposed to group tutoring at office hours) and the because it is free, anyone who wants tutoring has the access to. I have a consistent 5-6 students (freshman-junior) who I tutor Chemical Engineering and Biology classes on a weekly basis. I almost feel like I am running a business where I am connecting tutors with people who need tutors also.

Members don't see this ad.