Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Portlymutt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the middle of writing my personal statement for my application to a master's program in counseling psych. Would anyone here be interested in reading it and giving me feedback? I haven't been a student for several years, so I don't have any unbiased peers to proof my paper. I'm not sure if there's any risk in this, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Hey portly...I would be glad to take a look at it. You could PM it to me if you didn't want to post it openly.

msf41 said:
Hey portly...I would be glad to take a look at it. You could PM it to me if you didn't want to post it openly.

Thanks. I should have a rough draft done by the end of next week. I'll let you know. I think it's helpful to have a stranger read this before the admission commitee does.

Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Chris...

You could send me a copy of your Personal Statement. I too am going through the process of writing one for my applications and it would be nice to see how other's are approaching their piece. I could send you a copy of mine as well if you'd like.

You can just email me directly if you decide to send it.

Email: [email protected]

What do you guys think is the appropriate length for a personal statement/essay? I've heard 2-4 pages before but a couple of the programs I'm looking at want a few different questions answered in the essay. It seems that answering everything in 4 pages would result in something pretty superficial. On the other hand, maybe they don't want to read anything too involved. :sleep:

I asked the programs in questions whether they had a "preferred length" and they all professed not to...

Psi Chi suggests 2-4 pages double spaced. Some schools i've seen want ti all in 2 pages. Go figure...I'll probably end up writing 20 different statements :) Just to further stress me out :)

Thanks, Twiggers. I guess I ought to stick to 4 double-paged max...

I know what you mean about stressing out. I have to write about ten altogether (about 4 of them will be quite similar, I hope). I need to get five done by the end of November, plus a long paper I'm working on now which I plan to submit as a writing sample. I haven't even started the personal statements yet, I keep procrastinating....

I wrote a couple different versions of my personal statement a few months ago, and I haven't touched them since. I'm frustrated with the personal statement requirement because it is difficult to fully answer their questions in 3 pages. I'm supposed to answer their questions, but be original. I"m supposed to be thorough, but concise. I'm supposed to convey my passion, without being cheesey or too cliche. Writing, on any topic, is usually so easy for me. But this task of a personal statement has been very difficult so far.

ANyone else feel this way? It seems like it should be so easy, but it's not.

I know exactly what you mean. If you write a paper in school and it's not so great, it comes back to you with red marks and advice for next time. But, if this paper is not so great, then you don't get to go to school. Just a little bit of extra pressure.

As far as paper swapping goes, it will be another week for me. I'm also having trouble. My paper is supposed to be 3-5 pages so I'm aiming for four. Boy, that's original, lol. I've got all my points down, but I'm having a hard time putting them together in a cohesive, interesting, manner. The introduction is tricky too, especially that first line.

Chris

My application is due Nov. 5th. Yours?

Chris

My earliest deadline is December 15th.

It seems like we're all feeling the same way. I finally got started on my first one last night. It is hard to not sound dorky and over-earnest. At least, that's the problem I'm having...

Good luck with getting yours done, Chris, but it sounds like you have a clear idea or what you want to do and why. I'm sure you will be able to communicate that. Probably every other single person applying to your school is also feeling anxious about the statement right now. At least this whole process will be over soon for you -- the rest of us will still be suffering for months yet!

My earliest applications are December 1st. I'm beyond stressed lol. I'm taking an english class this quarter and we get to do a personal statement...but not until after Dec. 1st..gee big help! But.....the english prof is very nice and has offered to critique my statement for me....plus I'm going to ask a psych prof and we also have a graduate advising center that I can ask as well.
I'll be writing different ones, but I figure if I can one done right, then I can just tweak the revisions for each school. THe most important parts I think are:

1) Your future interests and why you are interested in that area
2) Any research experience and what you've learned from it

Anything else is just extras....ie; explaining a bad grade in a class, explaining why you switched from one major to psych, etc. etc.

As for catchy opening lines...omg those suck to come up with! I alsways see the normal "When I was a kid..." I'm definitely avoiding that one.

Another quick question:

For applications to PsyD programs which are practice-oriented, do you think it is a good idea to nominate particular faculty you'd like to do research with? Or is it better to just mention areas of interest?

Just a side note....was looking at apps and one of my schools asks you to fit everything into 1 page. haha that should be fun. Another asks you to describe your interests in 300 words or less. Gee I think these people make it so hard because they just like to laugh at us :)

Yeah, one page is going to be hard...unless you go for a really small font :)

lol...no double spacing..no margins...8 pt font lol...they'd probably just throw it away...some of those profs look really old and probably wouldn't be able to see it.

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of writing my personal statement for my application to a master's program in counseling psych. Would anyone here be interested in reading it and giving me feedback? I haven't been a student for several years, so I don't have any unbiased peers to proof my paper. I'm not sure if there's any risk in this, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Chris

Could I look at your old PS for reference for mine?

i am happy to look at anyone's PMs if desired. i don't profess expertise, applying this year as well. but happy to give my subjective random comments :cool:

I wrote a couple different versions of my personal statement a few months ago, and I haven't touched them since. I'm frustrated with the personal statement requirement because it is difficult to fully answer their questions in 3 pages. I'm supposed to answer their questions, but be original. I"m supposed to be thorough, but concise. I'm supposed to convey my passion, without being cheesey or too cliche. Writing, on any topic, is usually so easy for me. But this task of a personal statement has been very difficult so far.

ANyone else feel this way? It seems like it should be so easy, but it's not.

I am currently writing my personal statement and it has been the worst experience of my life. I wouldn't wish this amount of stress on my worst enemy.

Good thing I have a professor looking over it as well as my neighbor who is a 3rd year medical student.

Another quick question:

For applications to PsyD programs which are practice-oriented, do you think it is a good idea to nominate particular faculty you'd like to do research with? Or is it better to just mention areas of interest?

Yes, that is a good idea. I am in the same position as you, and everyone that I have talked to told me to list a professor or two that I'd like to do research with

Man, I have to finish my statement(s) yet! It just is taking me FOREVER to write. It's hard to put into words why you are the way you are, and why you are going to be fantastic in your career, and why you are passionate about something.

I think it's so slow moving for me because I know it has to be REALLY good, and I'm scared of it! :laugh: I just have to lock myself in a library this weekend and finish, and trust I will be able to articulate my thoughts clearly, concisely, and genuinely.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on mine now. I've loved the process of writing it, though it seems like I'm the only one. I actually cried once in the process, out of happiness and thankfulness...I was writing about how I've switched careers to pursue psychology, and why. And I realized: I'm doing it, and I'm doing it damn well, and I love it.

That said, other aspects of the process (studying for the GRE) drove me crazy with stress and self-doubt.