Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl77

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the programs that I'm applying to accepts students generally into the program, rather than with a specific supervisor. Should I still discuss specific faculty members I would be interested in working with in my personal statement, or would it better to just give general info about my interests without mentioning POIs?

Members don't see this ad.

One of the programs that I'm applying to accepts students generally into the program, rather than with a specific supervisor. Should I still discuss specific faculty members I would be interested in working with in my personal statement, or would it better to just give general info about my interests without mentioning POIs?

You should mention specific people/labs that you would be a fit with. Try to make it appear as though you are a natural fit for that program by showing that you are definitely a match with at least one or two specific faculty members/labs, but in general are a good fit with the program (which may include noting that their general training model is a fit for you, as well as that you have something to offer to faculty members in general).

Curious - are you talking about Yale?