personal statements??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlight1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any tips for writing these? I am having a hard time figuring out what people write about that is not already in your application somewhere. I know it is early but I get severe writer's block under pressure.
:D

Members don't see this ad.

starlight1 said:
Anybody have any tips for writing these? I am having a hard time figuring out what people write about that is not already in your application somewhere. I know it is early but I get severe writer's block under pressure.
:D

Try looking at some sample essays at medfools for inspiration. Important thing is not to impress, but to not scare away.

;)

I based mine (at least this is how I started it and ended it) on an experience I had on my OB Anesthesia roation that really confirmed my decision to do anestheisa. IT was a little bit cheesy, but I guess that's what they are looking for. So basically my suggestion would be you could focus on a specific story about one of your anesthesia rotations, pateints, faculty, etc. and how it influenced you to peruse anesthesia. For me, I had trouble starting mine, but once I thought of that story, then it just flowed from there.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks. you guys saved me a few hours of blankly starring at the computer wondering about what to write.

Just speak from the heart. You can't go wrong if you do that. And, get someone who has decent English skills to proofread it.

-Skip