This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrailMixedd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am thinking about why I want to go into medicine but have a difficult time writing about it. I want to mention my experience with sexual abuse, especially with a male but I was told to be cautious. What would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not write about this.

Hi Everyone,
I am thinking about why I want to go into medicine but have a difficult time writing about it. I want to mention my experience with sexual abuse, especially with a male but I was told to be cautious. What would you guys do?
Not mention that whatsoever in your PS and any other application essays. I know it may be what geared you towards medicine maybe, but you should not say anything that will leave negative emotions or open you up towards negative emotions in an interview.

I would also say be careful with this. I wrote about a touchy subject (was accepted), but it was not nearly as close to touchy as this. When I arrived at my interview I realized all of a sudden I would have to talk about what I wrote, in-depth. In front of a board of people. It was fine in the end, but it was not even close to being as difficult as what you went through. What ever you end up writing about, make sure that you can comfortably articulate it to a variety of people (practice talking about it before you submit). Getting the II is easier than showing up to articulate what you presented about yourself.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user