Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Personal trainer as EC

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by crazytrainz111, 05.18.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. crazytrainz111

crazytrainz111

Hey guys, I'm entering my senior year and will be taking a course that will allow me to become a nationally certified personal trainer. I love fitness, and was planning to put "fitness" down under hobbies. My other EC's consist of some research, clinical volunteering, shadowing, teaching, academic advising, and other leadership areas. Do you guys think this would be something worthwhile to pursue? Or should I focus on something more clinical?

I plan on taking a gap year, and was thinking of doing part time scribe and part time personal trainer

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sobored

sobored 2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah that sounds great. Just make sure you look like you are a personal trainer, for interviews (if you catch my drift).

4. cs24

cs24 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Personal trainer is a great EC. Shows your attention to non-clinical determinants of health and ability to work with and motivate people.

5. crazytrainz111

crazytrainz111

Thanks for the support guys. Would this be the best way for me to invest my time though? My only clinical experiences are clinical volunteering and shadowing, and scribing which I plan to do during my gap year. I personally think my app lacks clinical experience. I know I would love the job, but in terms of gaining admissions, should I be going for something that's more clinically relevant?

6. Elevencents

Elevencents 5+ Year Member

Do what you like and can speak passionately about. That means much more than an experience you get little out of and only do to "look good".

7. crazytrainz111

crazytrainz111

This is a good point. I'm thinking of admissions in terms of a game that I have to play, but if I play for myself, I can still win.

8. crazytrainz111

crazytrainz111

bump any other thoughts?

9. OrgasmicChemistry

OrgasmicChemistry

Pre-Medical
    Scribing for a year will be more than enough clinical experience to get you admitted. Continuing with the other volunteering and what not would look good though.

10. idkididk

idkididk 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing but without a class, just studying for the test on my own. As long as you're passionate!

About the ads