Sophomore, 3.79 GPA — quick EC check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FUTURE DOCTA

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys first time posting! I’m a second-year with a 3.79 GPA. Just wanted to see if I’m doing okay so far and if there’s anything big I’m missing or should add.

  • Shadowing: 369 hours total across 4 physician specialties + 1 PA
    • Internal Medicine: 44
    • Hematology/Oncology: 130
    • Neurology: 80
    • Psychiatry: 65
    • PA: 50
  • Clinical experience: 520 hours
    • Volunteer Medical Assistant: 430
    • EMT training/clinical exposure: 70
    • Hospice volunteering: 20
  • Research: 495 hours (2 posters)
    • Research internship: 355
    • Independent study research + poster: 100
    • Research project + poster: 40
  • Non-clinical volunteering: 580 hours
    • Hospital volunteering (non-clinical stuff like organizing events): 500
    • Homeless population volunteering (handing out food, clothes, and basic supplies): 80
  • Leadership: 250 hours
    • Student org secretary: 250
  • Teaching: 120 hours
    • Church teacher: 120
 
Shadowing: 369 hours total across 4 physician specialties

Stop. You have far more than what's expected.


Non-clinical volunteering: 580 hours
  • Hospital volunteering (non-clinical stuff like organizing events): 500
  • Homeless population volunteering (handing out food, clothes, and basic supplies): 80


Who do you interact with during the hospital volunteering? I would aim to get another two weeks in with the homeless volunteering.
 
Who do you interact with during the hospital volunteering? I would aim to get another two weeks in with the homeless volunteering.
Agreeing... also, let it be said, as a sophomore, it helps to have the hours AND the longevity on your future application profile. We talk in probabilities and thresholds, but your future school list may demand much more.