Personality and Specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHoliday

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading a humerous bit about med students, does anyone think this is true? lol Can anyone give any examples?

"You know that specialties are pre-defined by personality type."

Members don't see this ad.

We should recognize that certain personality types are attracted to certain fields. While there is no rule that says you have to be nuts to be in surgery, it is worth noting that if you don't like your coworkers, you're in for a long career. I'm a big believer in doing a lot of rotations in your intended specialty, so that you can make sure your personality will mesh with both the specialty in general, and the programs you are interested in specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Tired.

There are certainly personality types that are attracted to various specialties but there are all types of personalities in most fields. Find what you love and then see how you fit both in that field and area of the country. Keep in mind that the style of surgeons (or derm or EM etc.) in one location may have a slightly different feel from the style/personality of their colleagues practicing elsewhere.

crap, i can't get very far on that algorithm - 'cause i don't even know if i'm sane yet (i thought i was, until i came to med school)

crap, i can't get very far on that algorithm - 'cause i don't even know if i'm sane yet (i thought i was, until i came to med school)

I also got stuck. People who say they are crazy aren't, and people who really are crazy think they are sane. I will have to ask other people to do it for me...

Stereotypes are the result of the accumulated personalities which end up in a field. So obviously while they're not entirely accurate, there is some grain of truth in them. I've noticed in my class, people with certain personalities just gravitate towards the field which has a history of getting those types. Not everyone who is a little more driven, just give me the solution I don't care how you got there, wtf do I have to do to fix it types are going into surgery, but most are. Not all the I love talking to my patients, let's discuss this acid/base abnormality for an hour are going into medicine, but plenty are- including me. These days though, lifestyle and money influence carry more weight then in the past- probably.

Keep in mind this is crazy or sane for a medical student. I feel like I'm crazy just for being here at times, but not necessarily crazier than the average person here.

wait, that algorithm doesnt work if u choose "not so much" for hardworking...then u get all the fields where u have to work reallly hard to get into them.

yep, thats an example of the "Now vs Later" principle

LOL.

Well, I am probably crazy by med school standards (after all, I was a lawyer first) and have the attention span of a gnat... fortunately, I love emergency medicine so it is a match made in heaven. :D

i am going to be a surgeon woohoo! No need to study for boards! They use this for match day right?..........:laugh:

Keep in mind this is crazy or sane for a medical student. I feel like I'm crazy just for being here at times, but not necessarily crazier than the average person here.

Crazy? Did you read some of the comments below that diagram, holy ****. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL.

Well, I am probably crazy by med school standards (after all, I was a lawyer first) and have the attention span of a gnat... fortunately, I love emergency medicine so it is a match made in heaven. :D

Good luck in EM, it's so quiet and calm in that line of work that it will be perfect for someone without an attention span.

Yeah, some of those people really don't like us.

I think the best part is all of the anecdotal "evidence" that is thrown around. Obviously one guy was pissed because his niece probably landed some sweet radiology or anesthesia gig ($300K/yr with 3 mo off--not many others can do this), while his own daughter got a BS in micro and was content with making $40K/yr (which seems absurd to me, since a lot of people with a BS usually start off at about $30-35k/yr at as research associates). Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread, some of the comments seemed quite comical (keep the # of med students artificially low to increase the "influence" of big pharma :laugh: )

Obviously one guy was pissed because his niece probably landed some sweet radiology or anesthesia gig ($300K/yr with 3 mo off--not many others can do this),

I have never heard of anyone doing this. If they exist, I'd really like to meet them and find out what I have to do to follow in their footsteps (heck, I'd take $200,000 with one month off + 10 days CME).

I have never heard of anyone doing this. If they exist, I'd really like to meet them and find out what I have to do to follow in their footsteps (heck, I'd take $200,000 with one month off + 10 days CME).

There are some pretty lucrative opportunities out there. The ones that I have heard of generally have been in radiology and a couple in anesthesia. Keep in mind that these positions are generally located in "less desirable areas".

The money isn't so hard to find . . . it's the time off that seems to be elusive. I saw an ad a few days ago for a board certified/eligible EM physician in Bethel, AK where after 6 years you get 7.5 week off per year and $250k. With that kind of time off I'd have a place in Spain and live on the mediterranean one month a year.

I had my girlfriend do it for me, and she instantly went to EM. Apparently, I'm crazy and have no attention span. I had no idea. I thought I was a very patient, sane individual that bound for surgery or medicine. Go figure.

I had my girlfriend do it for me, and she instantly went to EM. Apparently, I'm crazy and have no attention span. I had no idea. I thought I was a very patient, sane individual that bound for surgery or medicine. Go figure.

Just tell her, "Woman, I must be crazy to put up with you."

I tell that to my wife all the time.

Of course, I also have bruises on my arm from getting punched, and haven't had "relations" in a while. :D

Crazy? Did you read some of the comments below that diagram, holy ****. :rolleyes:
A bunch of nutballs, no doubt.

About the B.S. in bio, that girl must have been doing something wrong - I was making more than 19k as an ugrad research assistant (w/o/a degree!). It is a amazing how one girl directly compares to the other - one starts out at 19k for 40 hours weeks, and the other goes to school for another 4 years to have opportunity to be paid 40k for 80+ hour weeks. Do the math. :rolleyes:

I just read through the comments .........:wow:

I just hope most of those people never get sick or break anything.

Just tell her, "Woman, I must be crazy to put up with you."

I tell that to my wife all the time.

Of course, I also have bruises on my arm from getting punched, and haven't had "relations" in a while. :D

I only say things like that to her when it's "that time of the month". That way, by the time it's over, she's forgotten about it. It's all about strategy.

About the B.S. in bio, that girl must have been doing something wrong - I was making more than 19k as an ugrad research assistant (w/o/a degree!). It is a amazing how one girl directly compares to the other - one starts out at 19k for 40 hours weeks, and the other goes to school for another 4 years to have opportunity to be paid 40k for 80+ hour weeks. Do the math. :rolleyes:

Agree completely. I worked as a research associate at an academic medical center and starting right out of undergrad and made $35K. Obviously that guy has a huge chip on his shoulder b/c his daughter didn't go to med school. :laugh:

Keep in mind it was 14 years ago so you might wanna adjust for inflation. It's probably in the neighborhood of high 20's or low 30's today.

I don't think it's radiology or anesthesiology since she mentioned "fellowship." Boy, that Melody lady is an idiot.
Here's the post for all who hadn't read:

Drblackman--where DO you practice? Your response did point out some oversights, but I don't know that you addressed them correctly.

1. Medical school costs. Yes, they are tremendous, and heavily subsidized by student loans, which, ultimately, have to be faced. My niece has just finished her final "fellowship" and is entering real medical practice this summer. Starting salary: in the neighborhood of $300K; annual leave: about 4 months. Repaying low-interest student loans will not be high on her "to-do" list . . . and will be only accomplished at the minimum schedule allowed by the lender. While in medical school, she did NOT wait tables or cashier for McD. She had her "image-demanding" sports car for transportation; wore designer clothes; and took several vacations--skiing in Vail, sunning on beaches.

2. Lost opportunity. Again, speaking from first-hand experience, my daughter, who graduated with B.S. in microbiology, entered the work force 14 years ago. Her first job paid her a whopping $19K. Even with merit and COLA raises, her current earning power is in the neighborhood of $40K. So, I somehow find it difficult to sympathize with this loss of opportunity excuse. While going through internship, niece had to work for the pittance ($30-$40K) that you mentioned; and in her first full year, she will earn more than her cousin has in 14 years. Shall I rosin my bow now for the violin concerto???

3. Practice costs. Yes, I know that pesky malpractice insurance premiums encroach on what would be an otherwise "nice" income. Needless to say, there IS a reason for it. Doctors MALPRACTICE. The entitlements associated with M.D. somehow ignore RESPONSIBILITY. The elite fraternity to which doctors belong want the prestige and the money--they just don't want to be accountable when they screw up. They close ranks, will rarely testify against their brethren regardless of how egregious the act, and are content to point their fingers at those "pesky, greedy trial lawyers" as the root of high medical costs. .You state: "Fortunately, the vast majority of people enter this profession these days because of a desire to contribute, to help others, to be lifelong learners, and to push the limits of what is known about science and medicine." Knowing what I've learned from my niece, this is merely your attempt to deflect ill-will from the profession. My niece entered the profession BECAUSE OF THE MONEY. As a high school youngster, she contemplated either medicine or the law! Because she wanted to do good for her fellow man? To contribute? To push the limits of science and medicine? She wants big bucks, a perfect home, lots of free time for vacation travel, limited interface with patients, and a 9-to-5 lifestyle--none of those bothersome nighttime call-outs for her!

Give them the benefit of the doubt . . . but try sprinkling a bit more truth in your assessment.
By: Melody on May 02, 2006 at 12:09pm

Keep in mind it was 14 years ago so you might wanna adjust for inflation. It's probably in the neighborhood of high 20's or low 30's today.
You know, you're right. I should adjust my comparisons to reflect when they were being compared. I fixed it:
RxnMan said:

About the B.S. in bio, that girl must have been doing something wrong - I was making more than 19k as an ugrad research assistant (w/o/a degree!). It is a amazing how one girl directly compares to the other - one starts out at 19k for 40 hours weeks, and the other goes to school for another 4 years to have opportunity to be paid 25k for 120+ hour weeks. Do the math.

I don't think it's radiology or anesthesiology since she mentioned "fellowship." [/I]

You do realize that there are fellowships in rads and anesthesia, right? I was only guessing at what specialty this person was in; the reason that I listed rads and gas is because they are the two specialties where I have heard of these types of salaries and time off-- I'm sure you could do other things and have the same type of offer. BTW, someone who has been working for 14 yrs in biotech or at an academic center, probably should be making more than $40K/yr . Hell, a friend of mine started at a position in biotech five years ago making $52K. There is very little chance that a person with a BS in micro AND 14 years of experience is still making $40K, if they are, most likely its of their own doing.