Personality Type:Specialty Preference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ENFJ - ophthalmology/EM

Members don't see this ad.

INTJ . . . with a handful of S qualities even though they seem like the polar opposite of the N stuff.

Just now starting 3rd year but thinking about some of these:
1. ENT +/- Head&Neck or facial plastics
2. Gen Surg [+ fellowship?]
3. GI
4. Radiology

not Psych
not Family
not general IM
not OBGYN

there certainly are a lot of INTJ types in this thread. count me in that crowd:

preferences at the moment:
1) radiology
2) ortho or other surgery
3) EM

not highly interested in:
1) psych
2) fam med
3) ob/gyn

Members don't see this ad :)
ENFJ - heading for Peds

Any idea why there are so many N's instead of S's?

ISFJ
Peds critical care or Peds Ortho

exlawgrrl said:
INFP -- the last medical specialty quiz I took told me I should consider derm, psych, rheum, peds and pm&r. I don't know how much the INFP plays into that, though.

i too am INFP...ENT, ortho, and rad onc are at the top of my list

ENTJ here, only slight/slight/moderate/moderate though. Interested in IM subspecialties, Rads, and Gas.

INTJ. I too think these tests are bunk. I did take a personality test when I was in high school that described me perfectly as a "blue," I think. I have changed since, but always wonder if it could peg me as the right color now.

Anyway, I'm surprised at how many I's there are. Maybe it is that we're all on the internet that is skewing things, but I would have thought docs to be more extroverted.

For whatever it is worth (probably nothing) I am thinking about rural family practice.

.:

INTJ = PC

cbgray said:
INTJ. I too think these tests are bunk.
I have no background in psychology -- not a single college or high school course -- but the Big Five personality traits discussed on the MBTI Wiki entry are pretty fascinating.

The Big Five personality traits can be summarized as follows:

Neuroticism - A tendency to easily experience unpleasant emotions such as anger, anxiety, depression, or vulnerability.

Extroversion - Energy, surgency, and the tendency to seek stimulation and the company of others.

Agreeableness - A tendency to be compassionate and cooperative rather than suspicious and antagonistic towards others.

Conscientiousness - A tendency to show self-discipline, act dutifully, and aim for achievement.

Openness to experience - Appreciation for art, emotion, adventure, unusual ideas; imagination and curiosity.

These traits are often measured as percentile scores, with the average mark at 50%; so for example, a Conscientiousness rating in the 80th percentile indicates a greater than average sense of responsibility and orderliness, while an Extroversion rating in the 5th percentile indicates an exceptional need for solitude and quiet.

I'd argue that physicians and med students rate a little above 50th percentile in Extroversion (because of energy level), consistently do well in Agreeableness (until they become surgeons), high in Conscientiousness, and rate no differently than the general population in the other ones.