Personality Type:Specialty Preference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Playmakur42

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone curious to see if there's a correlation between personality type and preferred medical specialty?

For any who are interested - This website provides a quick personality profile
http://humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Members don't see this ad.

I am INTJ and interested in neurology plus lots of others.

INTJ.

No specific interest yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm esfj (extraverted, sensing, feeling, judging). Is a particular speciality I should be looking into? :)

Playmakur42 said:
Anyone curious to see if there's a correlation between personality type and preferred medical specialty?

For any who are interested - This website provides a quick personality profile
http://humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I am INTJ..... and am interested in General Surgery or Ortho Surgery :smuggrin:

INTJ and interested in Primary Care (FP or Peds) in Rural America

When I took the Briggs-meyer test in law school, I can out as an ESTJ. According to the link test, I am an ENTJ with strong extrovert and judging qualities. Either way, I plan to go into Emergency Medicine.

ENTJ (Strong E, moderate for all the others)

Cardiothoracic surgery or anesthesiology

RachelD said:
I'm esfj (extraverted, sensing, feeling, judging). Is a particular speciality I should be looking into? :)

RachelD,

Some popular choices for ESFJ (According to "Do What You Are" by Paul D. Tieger) are Family Practice & Primary Care. This is by no means meant to be an all encompassing list, but more so a general idea of work the ESFJ would TYPICALLY enjoy most.

Playmakur42 said:
RachelD,

Some popular choices for ESFJ (According to "Do What You Are" by Paul D. Tieger) are Family Practice, Primary Care, & Radiation. This is by no means meant to be an all encompassing list, but more so a general idea of work the ESFJ would TYPICALLY enjoy most.

Hmmm.... very interesting! Not what I expected. I read one of the links that explain esfj and I guess my personality could be compared to Bill Clinton's and the fictional characters "Monica" from friends and "Rabbit" from winnie the pooh. I'm not sure if I should be proud of this!

RachelD said:
I guess my personality could be compared to Bill Clinton's and the fictional characters "Monica" from friends and "Rabbit" from winnie the pooh. I'm not sure if I should be proud of this!

It's unreasonable to think all people can be described by 16 "personality types", but many of the general characteristics apply. (i.e. ESF types are outgoing, prefer doing rather than pondering, and easily empathize)

If you noticed, each letter you received also had a percentage score (1-100%). I think 100E/I x 100S/N x 100T/F x 100J/P = 1 x10^8 would probably come pretty close to indentifying all the different personalities out there.

ENTJ (E = 1, so VERY slight)

Not primary care, probably not surgery. Other than that I have no clue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Try not to take these tests too seriously. As an earlier poster pointed out, it is unlikely that there are only 16 personality types out there. Also, the mapping of personality types to success in a specific career has not been scientifically proven.

Bottom line: if you're interested in a particular field to the point where you think you would absolutely love doing it every day, go do it. Don't let your personality type test results sway you.

INTJ, Neurosurgery.

ENTJ

That quiz was a waste of time. It's the same 8 questions repackaged over and over. Seriously, how many times can you ask me if I like to plan? Yes, motha fu#@a, I do like to plan!

Oh, and to answer the question - likely Emergency Medicine.

ENTJ and ortho. Think I should include this in my residency applications? :cool:

Brainsucker said:
INTJ, Neurosurgery.

Same for me. There appear to be quite a few INTJs here for a type that's supposedly ~2% of the population.

ENTJ and a lot of things interest me right now. EM, Cardio, Oncology, and ENT all appeal, so we'll see.

There are so many J's here. Creepy! And not at all surprising. I'm an INTP, and not only do I not know what specialty I want to go in to yet, I don't feel any particular need to make a decision anytime soon. That would be the P part coming out.

ENTP,

peds, orthopedic surg. though nothing set in stone

STRONG ENFP. I took an official test once and was 97% I think? Sheesh.

Anyways: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice. Then again, I'm only an MS2 so I have lots to see!

INFJ. The description is pretty much right on. Looks like that is a rare type though, according to the wikipedia source. Kinda cool. Oh and I'm wanting to go into EM.

My result was iNTj which was linked to being a Mastermind Rational (iNTj). I'm interested in cardiology and plastic surgery. :D

ISTJ --- thinking of peds or neurology.

vtucci said:
When I took the Briggs-meyer test in law school, I can out as an ESTJ. According to the link test, I am an ENTJ with strong extrovert and judging qualities. Either way, I plan to go into Emergency Medicine.

Hmm. I'm a ESTJ and considering going into EM. :cool:

ESTP and thinking EM, ortho, PMR, or FP...where are all the other ESTPers?

ESFJ "Provider Guardian" It wasn't a bad description except the wearing your heart on your sleeve thing...so not me.

was thinking surgical specialty for a long time (ENT/UROLOGY) now pretty much decided on anesthesia.

This is interesting. We took the myers-briggs as a class during our first year. I cannot remember the complete distrobution but largest group was ENTP, followed by INTJ.

I am ENTJ (Very Strong E) intersted in surg, perhaps neuro or vasc, or interventional card.

Thievery Corp. said:
largest group was ENTP, followed by INTJ.QUOTE]

Everything I have read has said that INTJ makes up less than 2% of the population. Supposedly that type is rare, not common.

Miami_med said:
INFJ and EM

Me too. Although lately I've been becoming more interested in peds.

INTJ, interested in Pulm/CC.

None of the qualities were very strong... in fact, none over 50% and most under 30%.

ENTJ ... EM.

I'm not surprised that docs have so many NTJ's. Physicians tend to be scientifically-oriented and usually plan things in advance---like 8+ years for medical school and residency. The military also has lots of NTJ's. No need for feelings there.

ENTJ...family medicine. Just for the record, though, I think those tests are B.S. ;)

INFP -- the last medical specialty quiz I took told me I should consider derm, psych, rheum, peds and pm&r. I don't know how much the INFP plays into that, though.

INFJ here (very strong I and J, moderate N and F)

Pathology all the way for me.

It is interesting that I have taken several different versions of this test and always come up an INFJ. There must be something to it. :)

Another interesting fact about these tests - my dad is the opposite of me on each of the 4. We are very close.

KentW said:
Just for the record, though, I think those tests are B.S. ;)

I agree. I have tested as ISTJ, INTJ, and ISFJ at different times. The INTJ test was linked to SDN and about 90% of the responses were INTJ and quite a few expressed surprise at the result.

For the record, I think I am most likely ISTJ. I have found in the past 30 or so years that what makes me happy usually doesn't have any thing to do with anybody else except yours truly.

KentW, I have come to appreciate your counsel and links. You seem to have excellent diagnostic skills, i.e. cutting to the chase.

KentW said:
ENTJ...family medicine. Just for the record, though, I think those tests are B.S. ;)

I'm also ENTJ :)

Thinking about heme/onc

Asked a friend of mine who's getting a PhD in psych about the M-B test, he said psychologists laugh at the M-B b/c while it might give you some insight into your personality, the different types have never been well-linked to anything else. So basically the M-B tells you what sort of M-B you are...

When I took that stupid little online thing it said I was ENTJ, therefore I should be either a surgeon, a pediatrician, or an internist. Not much help there eh?

FYI: I just started third year and 1/2 of my friends have already seriously re-evaluated their M1/2 interests after 3 weeks. Pretty wild.

ENFJ

Rural family medicine.

So, any obvious correlations appearing or are we all just sharing? :love:

Edit: I've taken this test a few times in the last ten years, and always am an ENFJ, so I answered without taking the test on the link. Then I decided to take it. Long live the ENFJs!

I am an ENTP, and have tested this way for the past ten years, though my Perceiver has been slowly leaning more toward Judicial as I get older (which makes sense, since going through college/applying for med school/working full time takes a lot of discipline).

Not really sure what they say for ENTPs career-wise (didn't take the test listed, since I always consistently test ENTP) but I do know ENTPs tend to be creative and not like overly structured environments. I think Emergency Medicine is supposed to be a good fit, but I personally say Blah to that...

I don't know what I want to do yet, btw.