Perspective of research elective??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luckyt66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are people's views on doing a psych research elective?? Does anyone who has done one recommend it? How useful is it and how much do you get out of it in 4 weeks. Also, does it look good on the application, or is it better to do a regular, clinical psych elective?

Members don't see this ad.

What are people's views on doing a psych research elective?? Does anyone who has done one recommend it? How useful is it and how much do you get out of it in 4 weeks. Also, does it look good on the application, or is it better to do a regular, clinical psych elective?
In general, I think doing something because it will look good rather than being interested in it is a bad idea. I would also keep in mind that the four weeks that an elective is scheduled does not necessarily represent the amount of time you will actually need to make something of it (poster, manuscript, etc.)

It's hard for me to comment on how good it looks because I really think you as an applicant are a "total package". I had extensive bench research prior to medical school from my previous career and engaged in bench research again between MS1 and MS2. Some of my good friends with no research experience also applying to psychiatry just matched at excellent programs, too.

Reactions: 1 users
I would say it has little benefit.

Say you write up a case report during MS4 in a research elective, it'll take months to submit, amend, and have it published. By the time it's published, it'll be past application time.

I would do it only if you are interested.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The 2 replies above mine nailed it. Don't do it unless you want to do it for yourself - there is no real benefit for matching.

Again... the original poster... you need to calm down. No one cares what electives you do during your 4th year (though I recommend doing more internal medicine, etc). One month of research doesn't matter. AT ALL. If you want to make yourself feel better about having a publication on your application do a year long research fellowship.

The reason I was focusing more on whether it would look good is because I didn't match this year- and with no research experience/publications on my app, I thought this was one modifiable factor that I could improve upon to make my application more well-rounded.
But thank you guys for your viewpoints- it definitely makes sense- I'll just do a regular psych elective.